Switcher's Questions For New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dirtywater, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Dirtywater macrumors member

Hello all!

I am a first time switcher who has been waiting for the new Penryn MBP’s to arrive to make the leap over to Apple. Now that they are here, I have some questions that I am hoping can be answered.

1. One of the main uses for me will be Photoshop. With that said, I am trying to figure out which hi-res screen will be better for PS, the matte or glossy. Any advice from PS users? I realize this is a much discussed topic, but I am looking for PS users comments specifically.

2. I intend to use this as a desktop replacement. I will have external hard drives attached to it for accessing media (music, video files, etc..) Ideally I’d want the 7200rpm hard drive. Would I really notice a difference in access times (launching programs and the like) if I had to go with the 5400?

3. As of now, I have access to an Apple employee discount at the Apple Store. The discount is substantial enough that I really would like to take advantage of it, but the MBP I want would have some BTO items like: 17’’ LED HD screen, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 200GB 7200rpm HD. Would the Apple Store stock any MBP with these specs, and if not, could I get it shipped to an Apple Store to still take advantage of the discount? I assume I can’t.

4. I plan on installing Windows XP on the MBP (to use via Bootcamp & VMWare Fusion). Should I install it upon the first time I turn on my MBP, or is that something I can do at any time?

Thanks in advance to fellow posters for you answers and advice.

DW

2. FelonyRuckus macrumors newbie

Dirtywater,

I want those exact specs, and I was told by a friend of mine at a local Apple store, that that MBP will be spec'ed out as one that they will sell as soon as this Friday but for sure next week.

It will be matte.

3. Dirtywater thread starter macrumors member

That is great news! Thanks for the reply.

DW

4. bbeers macrumors regular

bbeers

1. if you want accurate coloe then the matte is your answer.

2. to me it is more a personal question. Technically, Yes the 7200 RPM drive will load the programs faster. But well you really notice it is to be decided. I have used 5400 RPM drives in laptop on PS before and they work fine.

3. the way the Apple Employee discount works, you order it and it get shipped to your house. No different then ordering it from the online store. But I do think you need to do this from the actual store, but it should ship to your house.

4. You can do it at any time.

5. Dirtywater thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. If I can order it online from the store, that would solve my problem! :D

I also think I will go matte.

6. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I would put XP on as soon as you can just so you don't run into problems with partitioning. Also, I would suggest doing a clean install of Leopard right away in order to remove the extra languages, print drivers, garageband loops, and anything else that is taking up internal HD space.

7. Dirtywater thread starter macrumors member

That was my thought as well. I want to make sure that things don't go awry once I put the dreaded Windows on there. ;)

I never thought about doing a clean install of Leopard, but if there is a lot of items I don't need (like languages) that seems like a good idea. Thanks.

8. azngamer808 macrumors member

i've never thought of doing a clean install of leopard but that seems like a great idea! is it hard to do? do i just put the leopard disk in the machine and follow directions? or do i have to wipe everything out first?

and to the OP, how did you choose xp over windows? cus i'm not sure which one to go with although i'm leaning towards xp just cus it seems like it has better support for older games (which is the only reason i want windows on my mac). but i wanted to hear your opinions

9. Dirtywater thread starter macrumors member

Well, the reason I am leaning towards XP over Vista is that people are still (and we're talking a year later!) having issues.

XP is tried and tested. And SP3 is coming out next month as well, and that should be the final SP for XP. With that said, I plan on having this MBP for a while, so I hope that I am making the right choice too. Micro$oft will support XP for a number of more years simply due to the fact that too many businesses use it.

For me, it comes down to the fact that I only plan on using Windows for certain things (small programs that I can't get on Leopard) and XP should be fine. The last thing I need is another Windows headache, so the choice for me is clear.

I am not a gamer, so as far as that goes I can't really help.

10. ajumbaje macrumors 6502

ajumbaje

so theyre gonna have that model mbp in stores???
    the 17" LED high def matte w/200 GB 7200rpm hd?

if so, AWESOME

11. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

They had those exact specs (2.6ghz, 17" high-res matte, 7200rpm) for the older version of macbook pro so it would make sense for them to have them now as well. One note, although all stores will carry the standard models (the ones on the apple store), only SOME of the stores carry the top end model that you want. So just call to make sure. You're a lucky guy though, because that is the ONLY other laptop they carry - the one with those exact specs and that is what you wanted! Enjoy.