Switchers troubles with iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gaius, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Gaius macrumors newbie

I recently made the move to Macs with one of the new iMacs, but I have been using iTunes for about 6 months after I bought an 80 GB iPod.

My problem is that when I was using Windows, I stored my iTunes library on an external hard drive. This setup ran perfectly. When I made the switch I authorized my iMac and pointed to the folder on my external drive that contained my music connection.

My problem is that every time I restart my Mac, it changes the location of the Music Folder to a local folder! After burning CDs I'm having to transfer all the files to my external drive and reassociating them with iTunes. Now I did also just upgrade to iTunes 7.3.2. Does anyone know if this is a bug with iTunes, or hava any other reason why this might be happeneing?

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

start by unchecking the options "keep iTunes folder organized" and "copy files to iTunes music folder" (in the advances settings in the iTunes prefs)

also is iTunes set to open automatically at startup? Is it opening before the external drive is mounting. Make sure your user login has read/write access to the external music library.

3. Gaius thread starter macrumors newbie

Once I change the folder location while I'm logged in it's fine, so it's probably not a permission issue. I do have "keep iTunes folder organized" checked, so I'll uncheck that and give it a shot.

Thanks for the tip!