HomeKit Switches and Outlets that do not need neutral wiring?

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I'd like to get more into home automation with Homekit, but finding most smart light switches and outlets require neutral wires. I have an old house and rewiring it to add neutral wiring isn't an option.

Any suggestions on what can be done with an older house?

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
I have 4 of them they’re great also lutron told me they have a chip in them that it doesn’t matter for the polarity so you can reverse the pos and neg and it’s ok.

Too with these don’t worry about needing a 3 way for like the up and down part of a staircase get an extra remote with the bracket and it you can put extra PICO remotes and they will look like another wall switch. The bracket will line up with an existing gang box if you cap what’s in it or you can just put it up on the wall like anything else. If you need pics just ask

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
My big issue I have is the front hall way to 2nd floor. The ceiling is like 20' heigh, its really nice, but the only light is a pull chain. So as nice as it is, we dont use the front entrance to 2nd floor often because it is not a 3way hallway light.

I have seen kits that will place a transmitter in the box, and you then place wireless switches wherever you need them. It looks like a great setup, but again no neutral.

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
You gonna need to find out where that wire goes. If it goes to the wall then that’s what the caseta will control. Then use extra remotes and you can control that light from as many places as you want.

Go to their website they have all the wiring diagrams online and also they have a simulator that you can answer questions and will help you plan out.

As far as I can remember the minimum it needs is a pos, neg and a ground

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
You gonna need to find out where that wire goes. If I goes to the wall then that’s what the caseta will control. Then use extra remotes and you can control that light from as many places as you want
Its an old pull chain light, there is no switch on the wall. Its a hallway, so the light goes right from the ceiling to the fuse box in the basement.

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
This is not what was asked in the original question. I have no idea about this. But I do have another suggestion.

If it uses a regular bulb get a WiFi bulb then you leave the chain on all the time and the power on/off will be within the bulb

Reactions: jljue

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
This is not what was asked in the original question. I have no idea about this. But I do have another suggestion.

If it uses a regular bulb get a WiFi bulb then you leave the chain on all the time and the power on/off will be within the bulb
A LiFX bulb would get you going in the right direction.