Switching 101: MacSpeak limitations

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ericstjohn, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ericstjohn macrumors newbie

I've attained a semi-power user status on an XP Pro PC in about five years' time, with a dangerous noob's boldness when it comes to "managing" my PC, doing things like optimization for music production, etc.
    All the while I've disdained Mr. Bill, et al, swearing to one day Make The Switch. Well, I've done it but I don't know how to speak Mac to do the things I used to do, namely scrubbing out all the bloatware and other unwanted apps that came with this brand-new used "Late '05" 10.5.8 2.3ghz dually PowerPC, for starters.
    Yes, I've visited the Switch 101 site but again, I don't know MacSpeak so I don't know how to ask what I need to ask. Is there a chart or something that parallels Windows functions with Mac, i.e., Control Panel equals _______ or Device Manager equals __________? Or perhaps, I've lost my eyesite staring at the BSOD, LOL!
    Thanks in advance for the cordial, polite and helpful advice I know I'll receive from the mature and friendly Mac users out there as opposed to the smart-assed PC 'gurus' who spawn Best Buy employees to further humiliate us.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Control Panel = System Preferences
    Device Manager = Possibly Apple-About this Mac-More Info? Gives summary of hardware

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. simsaladimbamba

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unlike Windows, Mac OS X is wonderfully free of "bloatware". While there are surely some apps you may not need or use, you may discover a purpose for them in time. Unless you're critically low in hard drive space, I'd leave them. Mac OS X also doesn't have a Windows Registry to corrupt and many other Windows "niceties" that you'll soon be very glad to be rid of.

Here's a few resources to get you started:
    Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    Mac Virus/Malware Info

6. ericstjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks!

Thanks to all the helpful tips from y'all! And so quickly, too! Makes me kick myself for not simply saving my pennies for a Mac to begin with!
    I'm planning to remove my hard drives from my PC to the Mac -one at a time, of course, since I need to shuffle a bunch of files and apps -so I'll need somebody to hold my hand while I attempt either a CCC cloning or Time Machine or Disk Utility. They're both WD Black Caviar 500's and this Mac has the stock drive and an open bay. But wait! Did I not say I was a dangerous noob? LOL!:eek:
    I'll leave this active for a few days so I can glean some experience from you, my predecessors. Thanks again.
    Peace and blessings,
    eric

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

CCC cloning is extremely simple. You'll likely figure it out in under a minute.