Switching 13" MB HD to 15" MBP and vice versa

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by milesium, Jul 16, 2009.

1. milesium macrumors newbie

I bought a 13" unibody MacBook less than 2 months ago (less than a week before it would've been a 13" MBP). Anyway, now I'm wanting to sell the 13" and buy a 15".

I realize I can get my data transferred from the 13" to the 15" and reformat it, but I'm overly cautious and don't want any personal information getting out so I would like to just switch the hard drives. Are there any hardware compatibility issues with doing this? Also, what about software registration issues (i.e. MS Office, Apple Care plan, etc.)?

First post; sorry if this has been discussed. I didn't see anything like it. Thanks dudes!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What you can do is once you get all of your data onto the new MacBook Pro, zero out the hard drive on the MacBook. You can insert the Leopard Disk and boot from it, then open Disk Utility. From there you'll see the MacBook hard drive, click on the "erase" tab and then on "security options".

This will present you with the ability to zero out your data, it will take several hours depending on the size of the hard drive. But this will make sure that none of your data goes with the computer, the 7 pass erase should be plenty secure. I doubt that anyone would be able to get any data off that hard drive after that, but if you are seriously paranoid, then choose the 35 pass erase.