Switching 3G Chips!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SethRogen, Jun 19, 2009.

1. SethRogen macrumors 6502

Ok, this is probably a noobish question, but for some reason the AT&T person switched the 3G Sim Card out of my iPhone 3GS and replaced it with my old iPhone 3G Sim Card. Will this affect the Speed of my iPhone 3GS in any way?
    Thanks.

2. PrinceOfEgypt macrumors member

yes. it will also turn your new iPhone 3Gs into an old Zach Morris brick phone.

3. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

yes your iphone will be so slow it'll go back in time.

4. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

I mean it will still be as fast, as other 3GS's right? Or as slow as iPhone 3G?

5. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

6. PrinceOfEgypt macrumors member

it will be slower than the original iphone

7. iTouchIt macrumors regular

:rolleyes:

8. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? I'm calling Apple......

Can I get a serious answer.

9. mak10 macrumors regular

the 2nd response in this thread is a serious answer.... no

10. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

Go ahead and switch them. It won't affect the phone speed one bit. That's dependent upon the phone hardware and software, not the sim card.

I'll be taking my sim out of my 3G and putting in my 3G S when the FedEx guy finally gets here!

11. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It will make no difference whatsoever: What they swapped over is the SIM (Subscriber Identity module) which is basically just used to identify you to the network. It makes no difference at all to the performance of the phone itself as long as you have a 3G capable SIM (and if you didn't have it wouldn't work at all)

12. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

The SIM has no effect on your phone's connection speed to the mobile network. The only purpose it serves is to tell the network who you are and authenticate you for use.

You are perfectly fine.

13. PrinceOfEgypt macrumors member

Well has the phone changed color at all? It will turn purple if there is a problem...

14. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

That's some funny s**t

15. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

The phone already blew up and you're dead. You have some unfinished business.

16. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Great Scott!! Not with out the flux capacitor!

17. thelordnyax macrumors regular

lol...i'm watching Saved by the Bell right now...

18. mak10 macrumors regular

Actually I don't have a 3G sim and I used it in my blackjack and I was able to pull 3G speeds... it's an old AT&T Wireless Sim from 2001

19. PrinceOfEgypt macrumors member

Let's say this once and for all people - there is no such thing as a "3G Sim". a Sim (Subscriber Identity Module) stores data about WHO you are from an AT&T account perspective. It has nothing to do with the actual hardware that communicates with the towers.

20. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

I took a 3G SIM and put it in the new SD card slot of a MacBook Pro and I was able to browse the internet and make phone calls right out of Address Book.

21. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I stuck the SIM card in my mouth and uploaded this post directly from my brain.

22. PrinceOfEgypt macrumors member

you know what's even better? I put my 3g sim card in the sd slot on my nikon dslr, and now I have a 12.3 megapixel camera phone..

23. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Actually, there are differences between older SIMS and USIMS (mainly around the software contained on them). Some providers (including O2) use SIMs that are compatible with older standards, and can therefore be used in both non-3G phones and 3G phones.
    Some providers (eg 3) use SIMs that can only be used in 3G phones. This is why a SIM from O2 can be taken from an original iPhone and put into a 3G S and also why a SIM from 3 cannot be used in an original iPhone even if it's unlocked.

You're right in that the SIM only contains information about the subscriber and doesn't affect the speed of the phone.