Switching a Debit Card Purchase to Credit Card

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fruitycups, Mar 16, 2012.

1. fruitycups macrumors 6502

Jun 12, 2011

I know i'll probably get my answer tomorrow but i can't stand the wait. I wanted some opinions from you guys on whether this is possible.

I bought two ipads. One with my amex and the other with my debit card (didn't have my amex with me). I ended up keeping the 16gb one that was purcahsed with my debit card and returning a 32gb one that was bought with the amex.

my question is, is it possible to switch payments of the 16gb to the amex from the debit card? I rather take advantage of amex's protection options.

What i figured would happen is, they would process a return for both ipads and then right on the spot, let me repay for the 16gb with my amex. what im afraid of is if they say "yeah. we can't resell returned products this quickly. You'll have to get a new in box." While i do enjoy receiving brand new products, I luckily was able to get a really cool temperature screen and would like to keep it. what do you guys think, possible? Sorry for the long reply.
  2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
  3. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Sep 5, 2010
    Where did you purchase from? I know at Best Buy they let you, I did this exact thing, except from CC to all GC, they didn't care.
  4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Jul 5, 2008
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    Bring both cards back to the store you got it from and ask them to swap the purchase out for you...
  5. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

Mar 7, 2012
    Yes. It's called returning it and re-buying it. I'm not sure about Apple's policy, but I work in retail and we've had people in the past doing this before (reason because they needed the money in their debit and preferred to put it in their credit card). Just make sure you bring the receipt, box, packaging, and everything that came with it and your reason and I'm sure it will be fine.