Switching a lot from OSX to Windows

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kx22, Mar 27, 2014.

1. kx22 macrumors member

Dear MC's
    I have a late 2012 iMac with 1TB Fusion.
    Have Bootcamp Windows 7 and Mavericks running.
    Problem is that i switch a lot. Like 10 times a day.
    Every time I needs to hold the option/alt key. In the beginning it was fast, like the pictures popped out in 10 seconds after the startingsound.
    Nowadays it takes up to 1 minute! Probably because I have to many (and big) applications on both OS.

I reinstalled everything (both OS) and still I get this problem.
    Although is not the end of the world, there must be a better solution.
    I used to work with ReFit. I read that this (and ReFind) didnt work in combination with the Fusion drive.

Virtual OS will not work for me! Tried Parallel, VMware and the free VirtualBox but none is getting to my requirements.

So is there any replacement for refit or refind??????
    Or is a way to fix the booting time????

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In the case of Parallels or VMware, did you even install the Parallels Tools or VMware Tools to get the VM running smoothly? I have no problems running Autodesk software in my VMs.

3. kx22 thread starter macrumors member

4. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Check to make sure you have a startup disk selected. If you don't have one it will take longer for the system to find what drives it can use.

Also I would suggest using BootChamp.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

The OP wrote:
    [[ Im playing games ]]

Honestly, the best solution for your situation would be to find a cheap Windows machine (you may already have one), and play the games on that, instead of the Mac...

6. shaunp macrumors 65816

I keep a separate PC for that reason. Use it as a glorified xbox. I bought a mini instead of an iMac as it's more than quick enough for my everyday computing needs including some VMware and photoshop. For games I have a PC with a GTX 780. The two combined, with my Dell 27" monitor is around the same as the high-end 27" iMac but the gaming experience is much better.

Sorry to say it but the Mac hardware isn't ready for games. Hopefully this will change as more newer titles are released on Mac and PC at the same time.

7. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

I have the same "problem", in the sense that it is actually quite long before the startup menu to show up when you hold Option while restarting.

First of all, it isn't related to you having too many apps. 100% certain about that.

It is probably due to the time it need to "scan" the available disks. It may also be "slower" because of the fusion drive. Clearly this is what it is doing when it take so much time.

But anyway, I don't use this "method" for switching.

the fastest and most efficient way would be :

In OS X : When you want to restart in Windows, simply go into System Preference, then in "Startup disk", click on the Windows folder icon to select it as the startup disk, then click on restart. It will restart the computer and Windows will start instead of OS X.

In Windows : You should have a grey icon in the taskbar (next to the clock) that is the Boot Camp Utility. Simply right click on it and select "Restart in OS X", it will switch the startup disk to OS X again and automatically restart.

It will make your life more simple. No need to hold Option key each time.

8. kx22 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip for Bootchamp its quite useful!

[[[Honestly, the best solution for your situation would be to find a cheap Windows machine (you may already have one), and play the games on that, instead of the Mac...]]]]
    Thats not a solution...
    Thats a dumb answer nobody asked for.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ Thats not a solution...
    Thats a dumb answer nobody asked for. ]]

Seems like another poster above said it was what he did.

You asked for solutions. If that doesn't conform to what you expect, why ask the question ?

10. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

Ah come on, it's not a solution, it's "buy something else".

And yes I personally get a very decent gaming experience with a very comparable iMac with modern games.