Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Hi, I had an aol account when I first started with itunes and I would like to cancel that and switch all of my credits (free songs and monetary credit) over to my .mac account on itunes. I am doing this because I will be cancelling my aol account soon. Thanks in advance for your help.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Are you asking us how to do it? If so, as far as I know, there is no way officially. You're going to have to email tiunes support with a specific request and hope they can help. I've had non-standard requests answered and fixed before this way.

And the reason why is crappy, but true. It's about the DRM. They don't want people switching account names because there's a chance for "piracy". The DRM locks the songs into one account and that's the way they want it. It'll take some hoop-jumping, but you may be able to switch it.

MattyMac said:
Hi, I had an aol account when I first started with itunes and I would like to cancel that and switch all of my credits (free songs and monetary credit) over to my .mac account on itunes. I am doing this because I will be cancelling my aol account soon. Thanks in advance for your help.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Some_Big_Spoon said:
Are you asking us how to do it? If so, as far as I know, there is no way officially. You're going to have to email tiunes support with a specific request and hope they can help. I've had non-standard requests answered and fixed before this way.

And the reason why is crappy, but true. It's about the DRM. They don't want people switching account names because there's a chance for "piracy". The DRM locks the songs into one account and that's the way they want it. It'll take some hoop-jumping, but you may be able to switch it.

Really...is that the only way. I wont have an aol account anymore since Im switching to dot mac. There really needs to be a better way:confused:

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
My itunes account is linked to an old .Mac address that I haven't had in years and it still works fine. The only thing you miss is the annoying New Music Tuesdays, etc. from Apple :)

The account keeps working and the email address doesn't need to be vaild to work it seems, at least from my experience.

That being said, you may want to have your current .Mac address be your ID, so I'd mail them if that's important to you.

MattyMac said:
Really...is that the only way. I wont have an aol account anymore since Im switching to dot mac. There really needs to be a better way:confused:

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
I've changed the email address on my Apple account two times. All of my iTMS songs still work just fine.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
I think he was talking about the actual Apple ID. AOL/Apple lets you use the AOL ID as your log in and now he wants to have it be the.Mac ID.. right?

reh said:
I've changed the email address on my Apple account two times. All of my iTMS songs still work just fine.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Some_Big_Spoon said:
I think he was talking about the actual Apple ID. AOL/Apple lets you use the AOL ID as your log in and now he wants to have it be the.Mac ID.. right?

Yes...thanks big spoon..you're right on the money! Now I wish it was alot easier to change this:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.