Switching - Admin Accounts, iTunes & iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by duffersg, Dec 10, 2008.

1. duffersg macrumors newbie

Hello,

I’ve been lurking on this forum for a while now and, after nearly 3 years of waiting my wife has finally allowed me to replace my windows lap top with a nice new iMac. Unfortunately she’s making me wait for Santa Clause (I’m 33) but that gives me time to do a bit of research so I can hit the ground running.

I’m hoping you can help with a few questions, I have searched the internet for answers but a lot of them are quite subjective and are for questions only vaguely similar to mine.

My questions are:

1. I have heard that some users create a separate Admin account for troubleshooting. I am considering doing this, if I do it can a normal user still install software etc or will that need to be done from the Admin account.

2. I have all my music ripped from my CD collection into iTunes on my laptop. I have read various different methods on how to do this, I will likely use spare space on my iPod or an external HDD; what I would like to do though is have all users on my Mac access one iTunes library but still be able to maintain their own Play lists, Ratings etc. I’d also like to maintain the existing Play lists, Ratings, Play Counts and Downloaded Artwork that I have currently in my library.

3. I currently have all my photos organised in a mish mash of ways, some I have named and some still have the camera name. I’d simply like to let iPhoto manage my photos, is it simply a case of transferring them across and letting iPhoto do the rest?

4. The same as my iTunes library I’d like to have all users share the same iPhoto library, I believe this is managed differently to the iTunes library.

Like I said earlier, I have done quite a bit of research and have a number of documents saved and websites bookmarked but I am looking for more definitive answers or at least a pointer in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for taking time to read this post.

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

1. They can install some software, but will usually have to enter the admin name and password.

2. Have the music placed in the Shared Folder which will grant access to all users on the computer. With an External HD, they should also be able to access the music on all accounts.

3. Yes, just Import the photos into iPhoto or drag the pictures into iPhoto.

4. Just place the iPhoto Library in the Shared Folder to grant access to all users.

3. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Best way to switch is to do the research beforehand like you are doing. A book like "Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Leopard Edition" would be a good investment of a few dollars to derive a lot of benefits. Good luck!

4. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I second that. Thats a smart buy.

5. duffersg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all replies.

I have looked at that book, think I might add it to my Christmas list.

Again, many thanks.

6. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

If you buy your Mac from an Apple Retail store, they can help you get your files from your PC over to your new Mac!

It's always wise to setup an Admin Account for adminstration purposes and setup another account for your day-to-day use.

Good luck with the switch!