Switching - again. Need some advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mwpeters8182, Mar 28, 2008.

1. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Hey Everyone,

So here's my current situation. I've got a laptop that my office gives me, so I wanted to replace my MacBook with a desktop. Looking around, I wasn't really happy with the iMac/Mac Mini, especially given the price, so I went out and bought a PC.

Mistake. I've not been able to get used to Vista. I'd be fine using it when I had to reboot the machine to play TF2 in bootcamp or something, but not for daily use. Luckily, I've got a mini for my development machine in the office.

So I'm now looking to switch back - I've realized my foray back into the windows world was a mistake. But what machine to get? I'm trying to decide between:

1) MacBook - solid machine, I could hook it up to my current monitor, but I woudln't be able to play any games on it (though I could always pick up the orange box for PS3)

2) MacBook pro - Expensive, but would be fine for gaming. My only question, would the Penryn models be worth the extra cash over the refurb that are in the store now?

3) iMac - I'd obviously have to wait for an update, and even then, I've also already got a monitor that's fine for my use. Not sure I need the 20" screen, my 17" widescreen works fine for me.

4) Mac mini - cheaper, but not sure it's worth the money. Also, same issue w/ games.

I'd really like that prosumer tower right now. :)

What does everyone think? This computer's going have to last a while, as well.

2. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Depends what you are going to do with it.

All you mentioned was gaming in which case I'd recommend a console.

If not something dedicated then either the imac or MBP.

3. mwpeters8182 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the response - I probably should have elaborated there. Just normal day to day use. iTunes, some basic photo editing, probably a decent amount of coding (the iPhone SDK is one of the major reasons I want to get back to the mac.) I'm also using my current PC as a media server (TVersity to my PS3).

I don't play a ton of games on the computer, but that would be something I had to take into account (I do enjoy TF2, but it can be played on the PS3). I really don't need something terribly high powered, but I'd like it to be a bit future-proof, at least as much as it can be in the tech world.

4. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I'd go for a macbook then.

It'll perform pretty well with most things.

5. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

Personally, a refurb 15 inch MB Pro would be what I would get right now. I have one, and is a great multi-purpose machine; from email, web developing, and playing "Ciderized" games, it runs it all.
    ;)

6. jdwingnut macrumors regular

New MBP Santa Rosa's in the clearance section with education discount are $1499 for 2.2 128Mb vram and $1699 for 2.4 256Mb vram.

These are new, not refurb units. Either of these are a very good deal for what you get, and so close in price to a new Mackbook, are worth taking a look at.

Good luck in your choice.

7. EB66 macrumors 6502

whatever you decide to get, the refurbs are a steal right now

id go macbook and use a gaming console for games