Switching among opened Mac applications

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joe.pelayo, Feb 5, 2010.

1. joe.pelayo macrumors member

Hello guys,

I've been enjoying the experience of using Mac OSX for at least a year and, regardless to say, find it very pleasant. However I have a small doubt regarding desktop management.

See, in the 'PC world' one is able to switch between opened applications by simply hitting ALT+TAB, similarly, in the 'MAC world' one is able to do something similar by hitting (the button with the Apple)+TAB, but it is not the same thing; I'll explain.

In the PCs ALT+TAB actually switches among all opened windows, not just applications (if one has, for example, two text documents opened, each one is focused sometime by hitting the mentioned keys), while in MACs if one has several windows of the same application opened, one is stuck with only one of the said windows.

Is there a key combination I can use to switch between MAC applications and windows the same way as in PCs?

Thanks,
    Joe.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could use Exposé if you want, it's on one of the F keys or you can invoke it by a hot corner or a mouse button.

Look inside System Preferences > Exposé and Spaces > Exposé and see if that helps.

MRoogle is quite a good tool to search this forums.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, that is for switching between different applications not the windows inside them.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

use Exposé All Windows and Application Windows. in Snow Leopard you can also hold the application's dock icon to show its open windows. or while youre in the application you can press command+~ to switch between its open windows.

5. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

In Safari, you can switch windows with Control+ TAB.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Switch between open applications is Apple (Command)+Tab
    Switch between windows inside an application is Apple (Command)+` (to the right of the P)
    Switch between last activated window Control+Function+F4 (if you Apples' icons activated, if not then just Control+F4)

Hold down shift as well to do reverse order.

7. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Command ~ (the key to the left of 1) will let you switch between windows, but Control Tab switches between Safari tabs in that same window.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

9. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

This is the correct answer. The only program I've found that won't let you cycle through the windows with command+~ is Photoshop (CS3, at least).

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

11. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Good call. I didn't notice the OP was in Mexico City.

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I'm just assuming it's Spanish like mine. It might be English all the same. He has the correct answers for both now.