Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VS511

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
OH I HAVE POSTED IN THE WRONG FORUM, MODS PLEASE MOVE THIS THREAD! :eek:

Hello everyone, my name is Vaibhav and I've been a MacRumors reader for years now. I decided to join the forum since I thought I could discover many things here :)

So here's the thing:

I got my first iPod touch 3 years ago. To set up things quickly, my dad put up his E-mail ID along with his Credit Card info & everything. And since then I've been using it for almost everything except iMessage. I've not bought much from it (~$50 which is good enough for 3 years).

Now, I have discovered that I shall only be using iOS Devices in the near future (because I like them :rolleyes:) and I think it's now time I switch from using my dad's Apple E-mail ID that I have been using for the past 3 years to my own E-mail account.

I know I cannot possibly merge two Apple E-mail IDs. I hate you for that, Apple. :mad: I'm ready to bear the $50 repayment but I want all my apps to regain the progress & data they had.

Another problem that I'm facing right now is that I don't have any backup of my iPhone (updated to Windows 8 & BAM everything's vanished). But now I also have a MacBook so I think I would just stick to the MBA for backing up my iPhone.

So in a nutshell I have 3 questions:

- I want to backup my iPhone to my MacBook Air (a computer my iPhone doesn't recognise; in the sense it would erase everything off my phone if I sync them).
- Is there any way I could sync all my data back to my iPhone (game progress, Contacts, Messages etc.) with new Apple Email ID set up and most of the apps bought & redownloaded again AFTER backing it up with the MacBook Air.
- Can I retain my GameCenter points (or) change the GameCenter Email ID while holding up all the records & achievements? I've tried going into Account Settings but no luck. :(

I hope I'm not repeating this question(s) on this forum. My situation is a little different than most!

Thanks a lot! :)

Last edited:

scoiattolo49

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
As long as you don't have execeeded the maximun number of devices associated with the account, you can keep your dad's account alongside your new one.
From now on for new purchases you will use the new account but you will still be able to use the old one for existing applications (and their updates!).

As for synching to a new PC (mac or Win doesn't matter), you can transfer your app from the device to iTunes if you choose Trasfer Purchases from "YourIpodName"" in iTunes menu (in version 11 in under File/Devices). In this way you will backup also the application data (games saves, etc)
Remember that you need to autorize the PC with the account

You will loose any music/video that you didn't buy via iTunes

VS511

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Hi, thanks for the reply!

I think I have exceeded the limit! Moreover, I just want to get completely detached from that account since that would give me a peace of mind :p

So my basic question now is: Can I restore from a backup which has been made with my phone registered to my dad's Apple ID to my phone registered to my Apple ID? I can wait for a jailbreak if it could do the trick.

Thanks!

scoiattolo49

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
The only way to keep apps (and purchased videos) from your dad's account is to maintain this account alongside the new one in your device.
Two accounts can easily coexist (only limit is the maximum number of devices).
Otherwise you will need to purchase again all the apps and videos.

A JB will not help you for this (unless you want to go the illegal way...that I'm strongly against to)

VS511

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Alright...

So what I did was backed up the Applications whose backups I needed through iExplorer. I then repasted these backups to my phone after downloading the same application through a different Apple ID. No issues! :)

Then I made a back up of my phone to the MacBook after authorising it with my Apple ID. And then bam! All my messages, contacts & everything were backed up on the MacBook.

However, I was unable to restore my Game Center points (Copy Game Center stuff from one Apple ID to another Apple ID). I've done thorough research and it's a dead end, at least as of yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.