Switching away from VM to native Office 2016 for OSX

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by FHayek, Dec 14, 2015.

1. FHayek macrumors member

I've been a Parallels 8 user for many years, recently it's started to act jinky. With that in mind, I'm thinking about making the switch to run Office 2016 for Mac on my MBA. I have access to MS software via their Friends and Family program, so the cost isn't huge.

I have tons of office files on my Mac-Outlook, Excel, Word, PPT as well as various old PST's (on external storage) that I can access if needed.

So, what happens to all my Office files that are on my system if I make the switch? Do they all automatically become associated with the newly installed Office 2016? I assume the old PST become somewhat worthless unless I have access to a Windows machine.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Thx,

FH

2. chscag macrumors 68000

If you already have an older version of Mac Office installed, Mac Office 2016 will co-exist with it. However, all Office files will default to being opened with the Office 2016 apps.

3. FHayek thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't have 2011 installed. Your "however" tells me it doesn't matter and that old files (windows/office )will associate with 2016 software.
    FH