Switching back to 4.1!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacVault, Nov 24, 2010.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

Noticing too many issues since upgrading to 4.2, such as syncing of yahoo mail and gmail accounts, and now trouble sending an email message with a PDF attachment. It just sits in the outbox, says "sending" indefinitely but never sends! :mad:

Anyone else having these issues?

2. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

I do not have such issues, but I would recommend verifying the setup of these accounts.

3. daneoni, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  4. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I find 4.2.1 to be the best update I've had in the entire 4.xxx ios family. It's solved most of my previous issues.
    Of course, there are features I still think are missing from the ios system, but that's another discussion for another thread.

5. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Clear out what settings?? Here is a thread I posted yesterday detailing my sync issues. Still an issue and most certainly caused by the update...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1053910

I can check email, send email (usually), etc. It's just these subtle syncing abnormalities I notice as an issue, such as the gmail message stars and the read/unread status changes on yahoo mail messages.

As for the PDF that was sitting my outbox - I got it to send by turning off wifi. It sent fine over 3g, and other PDFs are sending fine over either one. Strange!

6. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

7. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Way off topic: But totally thought there was a bug on my screen haha. My screen was scrolled so the bug was in the lower left so it looked legit.

8. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Try doing a settings > general > reset > reset all settings. If that doesn't work, you'll probably need to a do a clean re-install of the software, without restoring from backup.

These are definitely not problems across the board with iOS 4.2.1, and you're definitely in the minority, I'm afraid to say.

And, unless you've used an application called Firmware Umbrella or have previously jailbroken your current phone, then there's no way for you to go back to a previous iOS version.

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

:d

10. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

I do not believe the last sentence is accurate. If the OP does a direct download of 4.1 from various sites - eg this one: http://www.callingallgeeks.org/download-ios-4-1-direct-download-links/ - I am NOT vouching for this site but merely picked it up with a google search and the site seemed legitimate via McAfee Site advisor and then in itunes does a Shift+Restore and chooses that file then it will work. I have done this already today and yesterday reverting back twice to the 4.1 GM that I had on my hard drive and it worked fine.

11. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

I am having the same issue with Yahoo mail. Forwarding just never goes. It worked fine yesterday so I'm thinking it could be a server issue or something temporary.

Everything else seems to be working fine so I plan to wait a day before trying a restore. So, take a breath, calm down, and give it a chance... :rolleyes:

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Apple is prob still signing 4.1 shsh so you can still go back for now.

13. Peterg2, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

The issues I have had with 4.2 GM and the 4.2.1 release versions have been relatively minor but still irritating. A couple of examples are when clicking on the App Store icon and chosing updates. With 4.2.1 I find sometimes it takes an inordinate amount of time whereas with 4.1 not the case. Another example is when using the speedtest.net app. On opening the app the first thing it does is "Finding closest server...". That too can - at times - with 4.2.1 take quite a long time - over 30 seconds whereas with 4.1 not the case.

I have bounced back today and yesterday to 4.1 just to see if this behaviour is duplicated and it is not.

It is almost as if the 3G connectivity is somewhat compromised at times.

14. stisdal, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

I am on my wifi network (AEBS) and still having the issue with Yahoo mail. I have been on 4.2.1 (GM) since it came out (so over a week) and today is the first day I have had any issues.

UPDATE: As of this morning, (Thursday) email works great again. (No changes done to my iPhone)