Switching back to an older iPhone, because newer one is broken... How do I do?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AlkFoo, Mar 31, 2011.

1. AlkFoo macrumors member

So, my 3G is done but I got an old iPhone Gen 1. I have had my SIM in an old flip phone and I just can't handle it (so frustrating). What I want to do is just put my SIM in the iPhone that works but when I tried it sent me to AT&T to "Activate" a new line.

What I wanted to know is how do you go about changing the SIM over to a different iPhone through iTunes (if you can). I already have the Gen 1 phone in hand, but maybe getting another iPhone 3G loaner. What I don't want to do is activate "another new line"... and I just want to basically put some of my apps and all of my contacts on the "newer" phone.

Please help... I can't live another day with dumb-phone (old school flip phone).

I tried to "restore" the Gen 1 phone to factory, with SIM in it... Please help me with some detailed steps on how I can change iPhones. My 3G is stuck in the "restore needed- cannot make or recieve calls" mode... and I can't get iTunes to recognize it because I have passcode on it and THE HOME BUTTON doesn't work (no ability to reboot). I am not going to buy an iPhone 4 so I need a "newer" iPhone to hold me over until the next iPhone comes out.

Thank... Please HELP ME!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Contact Apple / genius bar for help.

Are you on iPhone contract? Why can't you just pay the $200 and get an iPhone 4 if you are on contract?

3. AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

I am outside of my 2 year contract with the original iPhone 3G, but I don't want to get an iPhone 4 because the "Trend" has been a new phone in June/July. I would rather wait and not get tied into another 2 year contract on an "old" device, even if meant waiting until Summer, Fall, or even next year.

So, I have the 3G I bought from AT&T that is broken and have been given a phone as a replacement... All i want to do is be able to use it, but iTunes won't let me.

Has anybody ever done this or know how to do this?

Thanks

4. Rider3 macrumors newbie

Activation...

I believe there will always be an activation fee ($38.00?) when you change phones, not for a new line.

5. AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

If that's the case... then I will probably not do it... and threaten to go to Verizon (ditching all of my account...UVerse, Wifi, Cell phones, etc...). Hope it works.

6. AlkFoo thread starter macrumors member

Talked to an AT&T rep on line today and they assured me to bring it in to an AT&T store and that I would not charged a fee... that they would do it for free. WOW, "the man" loosening up a little on nicklin' and dimin' us, it appears.

Yeah... I'll let you know how that goes.

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Just swap the sims - that should be it. That's what I did, it worked for me.