Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
My last iPhone was a 4S. From there I had a Note 3 for quite a few years, til I went for the Note 7.. and we all know how that worked out. Been stuck with an S7 Edge for the last year or so, which I've pretty much hated since I got it, since it was my only real option after the Note 7 debacle.

The Note 8 is a joke.. it's nowhere near as pretty as the 7, most of the colors aren't even available in the US. And worst of all is that ALL of the new Android phones have done away with a fixed home button. You get to swipe up just to get to the button bar, THEN press the button you want. WTF? That's stupid. Apple got it right.. just swipe up for Home, period.

On top of that, I was tired of the lagginess that happens to Android after a few months of use.. it just gets worse and worse as time passes. Even clearing the cache partition doesn't help.

Meanwhile, my original iPad Pro (12.9") is working great after multiple iOS updates. iOS 11 is a huge improvement over past generations. And already being a Mac user, I look forward to iTunes integration... keeping my on-board tunes better sync'd, etc.

So, last night I ordered a shiny new iPhone X 256 gig.. getting my S7 Edge ready to trade in. Supposed to be here on or about Dec 11th. We'll see.

Rob

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
My last iPhone was a 4S. From there I had a Note 3 for quite a few years, til I went for the Note 7.. and we all know how that worked out. Been stuck with an S7 Edge for the last year or so, which I've pretty much hated since I got it, since it was my only real option after the Note 7 debacle.

The Note 8 is a joke.. it's nowhere near as pretty as the 7, most of the colors aren't even available in the US. And worst of all is that ALL of the new Android phones have done away with a fixed home button. You get to swipe up just to get to the button bar, THEN press the button you want. WTF? That's stupid. Apple got it right.. just swipe up for Home, period.

On top of that, I was tired of the lagginess that happens to Android after a few months of use.. it just gets worse and worse as time passes. Even clearing the cache partition doesn't help.

Meanwhile, my original iPad Pro (12.9") is working great after multiple iOS updates. iOS 11 is a huge improvement over past generations. And already being a Mac user, I look forward to iTunes integration... keeping my on-board tunes better sync'd, etc.

So, last night I ordered a shiny new iPhone X 256 gig.. getting my S7 Edge ready to trade in. Supposed to be here on or about Dec 11th. We'll see.

Rob
Had an s8 and went to the x 64gb and I love it. I think you will like it way better then the s7 those were junk imo. I had 4 of them between me and everyone on my plan all had issues.

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
Had an s8 and went to the x 64gb and I love it. I think you will like it way better then the s7 those were junk imo. I had 4 of them between me and everyone on my plan all had issues.

I have a s8. Thinking about getting the iPhone X. Could you tell me what the pros are?

Ps: my phone doesn't lag.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I’m actually excited for you. I’m very familiar with the frustrations that come with Android and the warm, homey feeling you get when you find your way back into iOS.

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA

Rob

After a few months of use, I still completely love my Note 8 and Android. I'm the opposite, I cannot stand to go back to my iPad or my wife's iPhone. iOS feels confining, controlling, sluggish, and boring to me now. To each their own. I'm just happy we all have great choices that work for each person individually!

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
It doesn’t sound like you’re giving the Note 8 a fair chance. The Note 8 has a pressure-sensitive home button underneath the screen, so there’s no need to do the “swipe up and tap home” trick. Alternatively, you don’t need to hide the software buttons, it is purely an option.

I’m on the iPhone X and Galaxy S8 right now and they both have their pros and cons. My favorite thing about iPhones are the level of consistency— I know my battery wont inexplicably drain during standby, and my phone won’t become a stuttery mess for no reason (this seems to only be an issue with the Samsung line, their software leaves a lot to be desired).
On the other hand, the Galaxy S8 provides so much customizability. I love how I can get into my car and have certain apps start up and start playing music once it’s connected to my aftermarket Bluetooth radio. Google Now + Google Maps is still INFINITELY better than Siri / Apple Maps. The screen resolution on the S8 is amazing, and I still catch myself staring at my lock screen on the S8 more so than the X. I get sad when I forget to bring my S8 with me and can’t use Samsung Pay (I like collecting the easy points, and the NFC readers at my local Safeway seem to only turn on when they feel like it).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
After a few months of use, I still completely love my Note 8 and Android. I'm the opposite, I cannot stand to go back to my iPad or my wife's iPhone. iOS feels confining, controlling, sluggish, and boring to me now. To each their own. I'm just happy we all have great choices that work for each person individually!

Diversity is a good thing. I think that android and iOS both are extremely polar opposite of each other and there needs to be a level of competition for these companies to continually to keep changing the spectrum of how we use our smart phones. I think Samsung has some really great features with their latest devices, and this is coming from somebody who strictly uses Apple products only.

If I could bring over some of Samsung's software related features to iOS, I would do it immediately, but I realize that's the choice we have to make in the smart phone era.

Reactions: Earth45

BrittWentz

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2017
People can say all they want about iPhones being overpriced but the truth is i've never had any problems with speed on an iPhone, while i've seen countless extremely slow android phones.

biopig

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
I had a S7 Edge along with my 6S. That Samsung phone was so horrible that I had to give it to my mother-in-law as a Christmas gift to upgrade her phone from an HTC low-end phone since she's so used to android. The curved screen doesn't have an anti accidentally touch mechanism that its curved edge is always easily touched without my intention. And it lags so much after only few software updates within a couple months, as if it's a ten year old phone, and this happens to every single Samsung phone I've ever owned. Whilst my 2 year old iPhone 6s still runs like a charm.

So, welcome home OP! You made a good choice!

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
this
I had a S7 Edge along with my 6S. That Samsung phone was so horrible that I had to give it to my mother-in-law as a Christmas gift to upgrade her phone from an HTC low-end phone since she's so used to android. The curved screen doesn't have an anti accidentally touch mechanism that its curved edge is always easily touched without my intention. And it lags so much after only few software updates within a couple months, as if it's a ten year old phone, and this happens to every single Samsung phone I've ever owned. Whilst my 2 year old iPhone 6s still runs like a charm.

So, welcome home OP! You made a good choice!
!

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
It doesn’t sound like you’re giving the Note 8 a fair chance. The Note 8 has a pressure-sensitive home button underneath the screen, so there’s no need to do the “swipe up and tap home” trick. Alternatively, you don’t need to hide the software buttons, it is purely an option.

I’m on the iPhone X and Galaxy S8 right now and they both have their pros and cons. My favorite thing about iPhones are the level of consistency— I know my battery wont inexplicably drain during standby, and my phone won’t become a stuttery mess for no reason (this seems to only be an issue with the Samsung line, their software leaves a lot to be desired).
On the other hand, the Galaxy S8 provides so much customizability. I love how I can get into my car and have certain apps start up and start playing music once it’s connected to my aftermarket Bluetooth radio. Google Now + Google Maps is still INFINITELY better than Siri / Apple Maps. The screen resolution on the S8 is amazing, and I still catch myself staring at my lock screen on the S8 more so than the X. I get sad when I forget to bring my S8 with me and can’t use Samsung Pay (I like collecting the easy points, and the NFC readers at my local Safeway seem to only turn on when they feel like it).

Is the difference in screen quality between de s8 and iPhone X that much different?

Gilley

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2016
Your first mistake was going with Samsung for an Android phone, if you want something that is always smooth and never lags get a Nexus back in the day or now a Pixel. No they dont have all the features of a Samsung (but half of them no one use anyways) but to me the Pixel lineup is the Apple of Android. You know exactly what you are going to get with it. I picked up the Pixel 2 XL and the X within days of each other and I ended up keeping the Pixel for the camera. The X just can not compete with it on terms of sharpness. I loved the size/screen/feel of the X over the Pixel but right now I want the best camera for my kids. I still catch myself looking at to see if Apple patched it somehow to make them better but still seeing threads of people complaining about blurry photos.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Welcome back. You never know how good Apple is until you know about the others.
[doublepost=1512272683][/doublepost]
Your first mistake was going with Samsung for an Android phone, if you want something that is always smooth and never lags get a Nexus back in the day or now a Pixel. No they dont have all the features of a Samsung (but half of them no one use anyways) but to me the Pixel lineup is the Apple of Android. You know exactly what you are going to get with it. I picked up the Pixel 2 XL and the X within days of each other and I ended up keeping the Pixel for the camera. The X just can not compete with it on terms of sharpness. I loved the size/screen/feel of the X over the Pixel but right now I want the best camera for my kids. I still catch myself looking at to see if Apple patched it somehow to make them better but still seeing threads of people complaining about blurry photos.

The screen of the Pixel 2 XL seems to have quite some problem with color accuracy and color shift.
Plus, if your Pixel 2 XL needs any service, I don’t think Google will provide after sales service (if there is any at all) comparable to bigger brands, especially Apple.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I have a s8. Thinking about getting the iPhone X. Could you tell me what the pros are?

Yea my s8 had issues with Facebook. I mean the s8 was a decent phone but I do like the X better. Pros being iMessage of course. Dual camera, dual speakers. I just like the phone better over all. Just kinda hard to throw pros and cons out there. When both the galaxy and the iPhone both have there ups and downs.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yea my s8 had issues with Facebook. I mean the s8 was a decent phone but I do like the X better. Pros being iMessage of course. Dual camera, dual speakers. I just like the phone better over all. Just kinda hard to throw pros and cons out there. When both the galaxy and the iPhone both have there ups and downs.

Facebook seems to be riddled with problems, it's not just the S8, but it also affects the iPhone as well. But I agree that the stereo speakers and dual camera is easily two of my favorite features that Apple has implemented over the last few years.

Reactions: Brandonjr36

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN

Just came back to Apple from an S8+, the ease of Apple is a pro but that also means losing all the customization of Android which was probably my favorite part. Doing almost anything on an iPhone seems easier than on Android but that doesn’t mean i don’t miss certain things about Android.

Black05Hemi

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2015

Rob
The Note 8 is anything but a joke, it's gorgeous.

WindowsTraitor

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
i think you will regret it. Especially because you are not really that invested in IOS. I got the Note 8 and in all honesty is a better piece of hardware than the X. The OS obviously has it quirks; I do not even like the customizations as I do not have to fine tune my phone. I miss all about IOS. The X is just not what it should have been. Not sure if Apple wanted to celebrate the 10 years phone with another 1st generation device that will be a usable device by the 4th generation...

The device is not worth 1149$.

save yourself the trouble and try a note 8 first. If you do not like it go to an iPhone 8 plus instead. This guy is bulletproof.

Gilley

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2016
Welcome back. You never know how good Apple is until you know about the others.
[doublepost=1512272683][/doublepost]

The screen of the Pixel 2 XL seems to have quite some problem with color accuracy and color shift.
Plus, if your Pixel 2 XL needs any service, I don’t think Google will provide after sales service (if there is any at all) comparable to bigger brands, especially Apple.

They just recently were replacing Nexus 6Ps with last years Pixels so they still have the customer service.

Itsjustcole

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2017

I owned an s8 when it launched, and now have the X.

I'd say that apart from the hardware upgrades on the X (i.e. speakers, dual camera, haptics, and faceID) the most significant pro is on the software end. The OS is incredibly smooth and consistent, if you can give up the big customization elements in Android and Samsung's UI. Most importantly, the third-party app quality is miles ahead of what is found on Android. Spotify gesture controls were a huge one for me, personally.

The s8 was a great phone, don't get me wrong, but the X just feels like a more complete and dependable device.

Edit: Oh, and screen quality wise: The s8 family of devices have a BEAUTIFUL display where everything just pops off of the screen, yet the X seems to go with a different approach. It too is beautiful, but the display looks more like the visuals are painted onto the glass. It's less 'display-like' if that makes sense...much more natural. I'd say display between the two is going to be a personal preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: ultravegeta1981
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.