Switching Back To Windows: Closest Laptop To MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sideonecincy, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I am switching back to a Windows laptop. I am looking for a laptop that has the same solid build as a macbook pro. I was looking at Lenovo laptops, but I am unable to seem to find any retail stores where I can look at one before buying it.

Does anyone have suggestions on a laptop?

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Are you looking for a metal enclosure?

I would go with Thinkpads.... T-Series and max it out. Remember to save a few $ for the Windows 7 upgrade... ;)

3. Queso macrumors G4

I have to ask, why not just install Windows onto the MBP and keep that?

4. Sideonecincy thread starter macrumors 6502

I keep looking at Thinkpads. Luckily, I get all Windows software from school for free, so Windows 7 will be free.

5. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Seconded. Using Boot camp on my iMac eventually led me to switch to a PC, and I can say that the iMac was the best PC running windows I have ever used.

6. sellitman macrumors regular

sellitman

I haven't heard of many switching back to ....I am wondering why?

:confused:

7. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

me too... I recently switched from windoze and I'm loving the Mac side of life... and if I ever need to use a program thats not Mac compatible I just use VMware Fusion.

8. Sideonecincy thread starter macrumors 6502

Pretty much 99% of the time I am on my macbook pro, I am booting into Windows. Since I am booting into Windows so much, I am looking to get a Windows laptop since I can get alot more bang for the buck.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

You could just keep your MBP and use it to only run Windows, and save a heck of a lot of money. :confused:

10. animaxcg macrumors regular

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i can understand the op's position if he didnt have a computer but not when he has a working mbp

just make windows your default os

12. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Completely agree.

The MacBook Pro is not a 'bad' computer to run Windows on. It does the job equally as good, or probably better than some of the rubbish thats being sold from Acer and other PC brands.

Save yourself the money, and keep your MacBook Pro.

Boot into Windows by default and be done with it.

13. cash4chaos macrumors member

cash4chaos

Something does not compute.

I think the op question is set up. The all mighty PC Vs Mac debate again.
    :rolleyes:

14. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Though I agree with the people saying keep using your MBP, if you're really set on getting a new computer I would go for a ThinkPad. They have power, small form factors and are well made. Perhaps not a lot of eye-candy, but they seem to be well build machines.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Uh.....yeah. He's been posting here since 2003 and has been waiting for the day where he could start a Mac vs PC thread.

Or the more likely scenario: He's serious. ;)

I'd continue to look at Lenovo. I know the new unibody notebook feels sturdier, particularly when compared to the old one, but if you really think about it, there's only 2 things people need to be concerned about: wear-and-tear, and accidents. In terms of wear-and-tear, the Classic MBP and PowerBooks didn't wear poorly. In fact, I've never had a laptop just fall apart on me from normal usage. That's why I never understood why people considered the new MBP's unibody as more durable than the MBP "Classic". Neither the classic or unibody MBPs wear poorly after usage (except the new black keyboards wear out much faster ;)), and yet neither can withstand any physical damage. Other than perceived durability, what have they improved?

On the other hand, the Lenovos can resist more than just wear-and-tear. They're not fault-proof or idiot-proof, but they're going to be able to take an impact better than a laptop made from one of the softest metals on Earth. :p Spill some water on a Lenovo's keyboard, and the water will just drain from holes at the bottom of the keyboard. A MBP or MBP would just die.

If durability is a massive concern, I'd recommend a Lenovo. If durability isn't the biggest factor, then there are quite a few Windows laptops on the market that are "tough enough" in most situations. That's what I'd consider a 15" MBP......"tough enough".

16. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I must say lenovo's are sturdy, I like their all metal hinges and magnesium alloy body. Just make sure you do a clean install after you get it, the lenovo software that comes with it is pure crap.

You should also get accidental coverage so when it comes time to get a new laptop throw it on the ground and run it over with a car and hopefully they'll have a newer model. If not you get the same laptop but new with none of the dirt and grime accumulated over the time of use.:)

Oh and if you don't want lenovo, make sure you go with a pc that offers accidental damage!

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm just curious, but do you plan on buying a pc laptop to run windows, and keep the mbp to run Leopard?

18. Sideonecincy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm not in here to start any sort of flame war. I tend to use Windows on a more regular basis because of school and so since I am constantly booting into Windows, I don't really see the point of owning a mac laptop (i have a mac desktop still). If I would buy a PC laptop, I would sell the macbook pro.

19. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

Are you running software on your MBP/Windows that you can't run on Leopard? That's the big question. Other than certain games I can't imagine that you are. Laptops just aren't that great for gaming anyways...Windows or Mac.

I'm not asking to start an argument...it's just more for myself so I can understand what draws people to Windows from the Mac side. The only other possiblity I can think of is that you just like the Windows interface better. Or lastly you may just have a very old MBP and it needs to be replaced and you figure why not go with a cheaper Windows one?

Either way let us know. We're all interested.

Kan-O-Z

20. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I still think you'd come out ahead if you just kept the MBP, wiped OS X, and booted Windows full-time. You'll take a loss on selling the MBP and another hit by buying a brand new laptop. Plus if you're looking for a laptop similar in build to an MBP, then you're talking premium laptops.

Unless the MBP hardware doesn't physically offer something you want, like say more USB ports, or a higher resolution LCD.

21. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

I would also like to mention that when you go to sell your MBP, you're going to lose a lot of money. Even though Apple resale is good, it's still a big loss. Depending on how new your MBP is, you may just end up downgrading and losing money at the same time which doesn't make sense. Just remember the MBP offers a lot more other than 'specs'. For one it's got one of the best screens in the laptop world. Add to that a host of other features and just a lot of quality, thinness, weight and looks. As a college student, thin and light are good and MBP delivers better than any other 15"/17". Keep that stuff in mind.

If you really want MBP type premium, look at Sony VAIO. Personally it sounds like you like premium laptops and getting another one is going to cost you money, $1500-$2000. If you go any cheaper, you probably won't be happy. A few weeks ago a family member bought a Gateway 15". They were happy they saved money and got a good deal but you know what....everything about it sucked! It was twice as thick as the MBP and nearly twice as heavy. It had very loud fans (almost desktop grade) and the side of it could double for a toaster. It had very poor quality screen compared to MBP. Overall very ugly and just cheap feeling. On top of that it was missing basic features like Wireless N, bluetooth, cam/mic, and had very poor components like video that were basically from like 2-3 years ago. Finally the trackpad sucked! it was literally about 2 inches wide where as the mac one is huge! I could barely use that thing without a mouse. Anyways keep all this in mind. You get what you pay for. You already paid for something good, don't go sell it and get something cheap. If you really must get one, get Sony VAIO and waste a lot of money....but I recommend that you keep your MBP and save your money!

You don't want to sell a Porsche and get a Ford just cause you think the Ford has a little more hp and is cheaper...all the while losing money on the whole deal ;)

Kan-O-Z

22. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

I would also just keep the MBP. Is there something you can't do with it and Windows through Boot Camp? If you sell it used and take a loss to buy a new Lenovo, you are not really getting more bang for the buck.

23. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

Lenovo T61

I would third and even fourth keeping your MBP and installing JUST Windows on it.

I have used IBM/Lenovo's for over 3 years now at my company, and while the build quality is good, the hardware is not. My T61 is less than a year old and the hard drive is beginning to click and the battery life is not near what it was brand new. Since the series was updated from the T4x models, we're replacing a TON of hard drives and batteries. The HW quality has come WAY down. Also agree with previous posters about the software that comes on a new machine. It's crap.

One last point, I've used a T40, T42, T43 (all IBM). More recently, I've used the T60/61/400, and I must say, the build quality is still good... but it's definitely come down from where IBM had it. The Lenovo models just feel cheaper to me.