Switching back

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Derekuda, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

I don't want to seem like a traitor, but I have to switch back to windows. In this crappy economy, I just cannot afford a $1000 laptop, when I can get something equal for half the price with Vista.

Your thoughts?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Specifications, tasks to accomplish, and a more concrete budget please.

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

To OP, it's your money. Spend it whatever way you want. However, I personally disagree that anything can be equal when it has Vista in it. If it's XP? Maybe, but not Vista.

I have been a PC user since the Dos days, but Vista definitely was a deal breaker.

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

I'm going Vista myself, for other reasons though.

Don't forget the resale value of Apple is much higher than PCs.

5. belvdr macrumors 601

Bah, I never got into the resale of computer equipment. I think the resale value of Apple equipment is too high. I just don't see value there.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

A computer equal to a Mac which does not natively run OSX is no longer equal.

Not to mention, time is money. The time saved, by me at least, by using a Mac vs a PC, adds up to far more than $1000.

7. Bwilky macrumors regular

LOL. Agreed. From all the issues and time trying to work with vista it's just not worth it.

The thing is, you can go buy a pc for $600.00, but it breaks after a year. All those consumer Dell, Hp, Acer, Toshiba computers just aren't built like they used to be. Trying to get them fixed is a pain in the ass. Shipping them off to their warranty depots, waiting a couple months to get it fixed. East Indian tech support. Hmmm, $600 for crappy everything, $1300 for heaven. Heaven .

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's nice and all but they OP doesn't want to spend $1,300 for your perception of the afterlife.

9. JJBagoose macrumors newbie

Vista works fine. :D

It's no OSX but this perception that Vista is some terrible OS is just false. I've been running vista for 2 years with almost no issues.

10. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I think your lucky then:rolleyes:

11. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I 2nd that. I own a pc with windows vista ultimate and it works excellent. I've had NO problems. Vista really dosent deserve the rep it has.

12. munckee macrumors 65816

Umm...bye :confused:

What "thoughts" do you want exactly?

13. No1451 macrumors 6502

To the OP, going to need a more solid budget and some idea of WHAT you want to do with the machine. A Dell will probably do you fine.

As for this business about a bad economy, blah to that, not spending money isn't going to help things any.

14. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Just to add my 2 cents worth... I used Vista and never had any problems, definitely thought it was better than XP.

15. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

I have a new Macbook and a Penryn Macbook Pro, I also have a Vista desktop. I love them all.

Vista isn't bad at all guys. It has actually been very stable for me as well, stop paying attention to those commercials. We all love :apple: products but let's be fair here.

As for the person who talked about Toshiba, HP, computers not built like they used to, I think you meant Apple instead. Apple built quality is awful, it's their design and perceived quality that people buy into. AppleCare is pretty good though, but most people don't buy the extended warranty for PCs.

16. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I am happy for you that you like Vista. But I do think it is a terrible OS with the permission business. Anyhow, let's not hijack the thread into a "why I like/hate Vista" debate.

17. Bwilky macrumors regular

Heaven: "A condition or place of great happiness, delight, or pleasure: "The lake was heaven."". I wasn't referring to the after life.

I could go on and on why it's horrible. But there are many of those threads already. But, I was mainly referring to the PC experience I and many others have had before converting, not vista.

18. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

19. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

I went from a $1200 Macbook to a $400 Acer Aspire 5100 and I'm happy with the transition a year later. Not as solid as the Macbook, but does everything I need it to do.

20. Tummy macrumors regular

While I don't personally own a computer with Vista, the thought of having to waste time securing the computer against malware, viruses and spyware keeps me away from looking at PCs.

Since I'm self employed, one lost day of work pays for the cost difference many times over (if there really is a cost difference, see below).

I don't think you can get a similar spec laptop as the Macbook from a PC vendor for a similar price. You also have to add the cost of the antivirus software and proper backup software.

In addition, I find the resale value of used Macs to be much higher than used PCs. You can often flip your computer every year by selling them on eBay. I often do that to make sure my machines are within the 1 yr Apple Care period, vs buying the extended warranty. Often the cost of flipping is not much more than the cost of getting the extended plan, plus I get the added performance.

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Spend it on what ever you like bro. Buy a large shiny dick that runs vista, if you want! We ain't stopping you! You needn't tell the world as to how you feel.
    If $1000 is a lot of money, then spend it wisely. If time is valuable, then do something constructive - What could be simpler?

Just have fun formatting your system whenever you need to reinstall a new copy of windows, cause there's been some irreversible, annoying windows
    protection error, corrupted hard-drive due to virus attacks, etc.... We Mac users won't be formatting out drives in a hurry, cause we can just reinstall
    the operating system, leaving our precious home folder and personal documents in tact... Where as you. Well.. you'd need to backup everything, only
    to reinstall everything again!! Doesn't sound logical to me, but if that's how you feel.

GO FOR IT! Have fun!!

22. Crash1234 macrumors regular

I have no comment on vista as I haven't actually used a PC since XP, but I agree with the apple build quality. Pretty much... every other laptop I've seen has better build quality than an apple laptop.

23. daisky macrumors newbie

Vista w/ SP1 is excellent, no issues at all. The poster who mentions the 'permission business' has probably spent only 5 minutes on the system, since it can be turned off very easily from the control panel. Just browse some random threads here and you will see that apple's build quality is simply awful, with excellent after-sales support that you have to pay $200-300 on top of the machine's pricetag to get.

I have to use Macs because I like Logic pro, and osx is really nice. But if you have no mac-specific application you want to use, then vista is the winner all around.

24. twdawson macrumors member

I have been using Vista since day one and never had a problem at all and i agree with the OP.

25. Roller macrumors 68020

I can't imagine that the OP's intent was anything other than to stir the pot. No real details provided, but if the computer is new, why would he suddenly decide that it's too expensive after buying it?