Switching between apps like in movie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by M0esmac, May 17, 2012.

1. M0esmac macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

Hi,

This may sound stupid, but maybe some of you seen movie called "The Girl with the Dragon Tatto"?
    In that movie, I saw how they switch between applications (with some key command) in Mac OS X, but I think it was Snow Leopard there, but still, I think Lion should have that thing too? There's similar thing in windows too.

Thank you

2. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

If you hold Command tab you will get a list of open apps you can tab through and select.

If you hold Control tab you can cycle through apps.

Does that help?

3. The-Pro macrumors 65816

If I press do that I can cycle through my tabs in safari but thats it.
    How come you can cycle through apps?
    cheers

4. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

I would help if it would work.;)

P.S. I'm Lion user, maybe that works on a SL for you there?

5. LaWally macrumors 6502a

I'm on Lion and Command+Tab works for me. You are doing Control+Tab if you cycle through the tabs in Safari.

6. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

Oh crap yes it works! But it's a bit stupid here, because I can't control where it goes in what app. If I press it, it automatically starts scrolling, it doesn't control with arrows :confused:
    + I doesn't even open an app

7. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

It scrolls only when you press the tab key, if you hold command you will see the menu, then pressing tab scrolls left one app. Continue pressing until you find desired app icon then release both keys and it opens the selected application... not that complicated

8. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

Okay, but it still doesn't open. In menu bars for example switching from iTunes to Chrome, in menu bar it shows iTunes, I chose app with that combo, then in Menu bar it shows "Chrome" but still shows iTunes.

EDIT: Even if you press app in that menu with mice pointer, it doesn't open...

9. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Actually, just holding the Command key does nothing. You have to press and release the tab key once to get the list. You can then tab through the applications while continuing to hold the Command key.

Also, once the list is open, you can move through the apps and select one using your mouse.

10. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

Yeah but it still does the same like in I explained in my post before this one.

11. LaWally macrumors 6502a

So are you saying that pressing and holding the Command key (key closest to the space bar on the left or right), and then pressing and releasing the Tab key does not bring up a list of active apps?

12. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

It does not. Really.

13. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Hmm that makes no sense. What happens when you press and hold the Command key and then press and release the space bar? It should behave as if you clicked on the Spotlight icon in the upper right corner of the menu bar.

Also, are you using an Apple keyboard? Wireless or wired?

14. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

Oh no, IT BRINGS IT, but when I select app to open from the list, it doesn't open it.

I misunderstood you there.

Look:

15. LaWally, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012

LaWally macrumors 6502a

Okay, when you've got the app you want selected in the list, releasing the Command key should give focus to that app.

Also, keep in mind that an application like Chrome or Safari can be active, but not have any windows open. I think that is the behavior you are seeing and why the menu bar is confusing you. Whatever application name you see next to the Apple Menu is the active application, regardless of what is displayed on your screen.

16. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

Nope, still the same. In menu bar it shows that that is switched, but it doesn't show it. With return and without it. All the same.

17. LaWally macrumors 6502a

I edited my last post. Does the last paragraph help?

18. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

No. From any app, from just desktop, just doesn't open. Shows in menu, but doesn't open. :mad:

19. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Once the menu bar shows that it switched, can you select File -> New Window to open a Chrome window?

20. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

Yes you can. And you can do that with every application, but it NEVER shows that window straight on desktop which is 'active'. :(

21. LaWally macrumors 6502a

So if you have a window open in Chrome (as an example) and switch to some other app like iTunes, are you saying that when you switch back to Chrome the previously open Chrome window is not given focus?

22. M0esmac, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012

M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

23. LaWally macrumors 6502a

And it won't "open" iTunes. It will just take you back to the previous state of iTunes. I just tried the following test to illustrate:

1. Started iTunes. iTunes active with iTunes window open.
    2. Closed the iTunes window. iTunes remains active app, but nothing displayed.
    3. Switched to a full screen trading app. Trading app now displayed.
    4. Switched back to iTunes. iTunes listed as active app next to Apple Logo, but full screen trading app still displayed ... because iTunes had no window open.
    5. Click on iTunes in dock and iTunes window "opens".

If you have iTunes active and a window displayed, I cannot explain the behavior you are seeing.

24. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

I'm dumb. Sorry. I understood now, that all windows have to be open on the screen, they can't be closed but still active. And that's sucs, because there's almost no point of that for me.
    If it wouldn't be like that, I could hide dock, but now...
    There's no way to do how I want? :D