Switching between iPhone 4 and iPhone 2G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AaronE, Mar 28, 2011.

1. AaronE macrumors 6502

I need a phone to use at night and I don't really want to carry my iPhone 4 with me because of the risk of it being stolen. Is it possible to switch back and forth between the two phones without losing my data plan or any other consequences?

I'll be using a micro sd adapter of course.

2. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

As long as you use the same sim then you should be good to go.

3. milani macrumors 68000

milani

^ Correct. Just use the same sim with an adapter, obviously - which, I should add, you can DIY with an old credit card and a box cutter.

You could also swap your SIM into a dumb phone without any consequences. Sometimes I drop my SIM into an old Nokia phone for the reasons you described.

4. AaronE thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, I was just checking because I thought I read something about losing your data plan if you switched phones.

Good deal.

5. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

if anything you can switch to unlimited data

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I can't speak for AT&T, but I think that the carriers are generally more than happy to charge you regardless of what type of phone you're using.

7. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

KEEP THIS IN MIND BEFORE YOU DO IT!

I tried this using a micro SIM adapter and a 3GS. The contacts that read the SIM card PUSH on it when it is inserted, so when you put in the micro SIM in the adapter, it may push the micro SIM out of place. This is what happened to me. It read the card fine, but when I tried taking it out, it got caught. I ended up having to open up the 3GS just to get the card out.

Also, with the first generation iPhone, it is MUCH harder to access the SIM tray from inside the phone.

BE VERY CAREFUL!