Switching Carriers 3G Phone Advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ishmael9913, May 21, 2008.

1. ishmael9913 macrumors newbie

ishmael9913

So, I have a couple of questions I thought I would put out there. Here is my dilemma:

1. I currently have a plan with Verizon that ends in June.
    2. I am planning on getting the 3G iphone when it comes out (hopefully, June 9th, right?) and switching to AT&T.
    3. I would like to keep my existing telephone number.

Is there any way to do all of this? I am just a little worried about getting my phone number after my service ends with Verizon in June, and also, being without a cellphone for an undetermined amount of time. Has anyone gone through this process on the existing iphone when it first came out? Any help would be great!

Thanks

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Your contract ends in June or your account? The moment your account is terminated your phone number becomes up for grabs. If you want to port your number from Verizon to AT&T you MUST keep your Verizon account active until your phone number is successfully transferred to AT&T, if not your phone number will be lost forever.

3. seenett macrumors regular

Seems like your scenario is ideal for a quick, easy and cheap transition.

Nothing happens when your Verizon contract is up - except that you are free to leave anytime for any reason. You will still get your normal Verizon service just as always. Find out the exact day in June your contract terminates, then activate your iphone with AT&T the next day. You will be asked if you want to port your old number (yes). You could be without service up to a day, but it rarely takes that long to switch everything over. I switched from Verizon 12 months ago and it took 2 hours before I could send and receive calls on my new phone.

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

When porting over a number you will be able to make calls immediately, but will only receive calls from other AT&T customers until the number transfer is complete. Last year I just carried both my iPhone and my old Verizon phone around with me for a day until I got the text message that the number transfer was complete.

5. rayward macrumors 68000

And don't forget that - unless AT&T are offering discounted prices on the iPhone, which is rumoured they will, in which case stop reading now - you should set up a regular contract with AT&T and get the plan that suits you best and the best free phone you can get. Then, you can convert this contract to an iPhone contract and the only change is the additional $10/month data plan fee.

Now you have a plan that fits your needs, rather than having to pick one of three iPhone plans that may not. Plus, you have a brand new non-i phone that you can use as a backup, give to someone deserving or sell on ebay.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Isn't the data plan $20 for the iPhone? :eek::confused:

7. ishmael9913 thread starter macrumors newbie

ishmael9913

One More Thing...

Hey Everyone-

Thanks for all the help! All great things to know when I do finally switch over. However, I did a bit more digging today and found out that my contract actually terminates in October. Has anyone tried to get out early from a Verizon contract without paying termination fee? Do they let you go if you only have like 4 months left, or am I stuck with either a termination fee or monthly charges?

Thanks again!