Switching Carriers at Launch - Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ScubaCinci, Sep 11, 2014.

1. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I stopped in a Verizon store by my work today and asked the guy if I can pre-order a verizon phone, receive it, activate it with whatever # they assign and then later port over my existing # from AT&T.

He proceeded to tell me it was complicated and that I should come in tomorrow morning and pre-order through the store and he would take care of it. When asked if that would delay me getting the phone (i.e. not on the 19th) he assured me that whatever quantity they pre-ordered in the store they would have in stock on the 19th and one would be reserved for me.

He said they were taking pre-orders today for existing Verizon customers (they would input them tomorrow).

I left feeling like he either wasn't honest or he didn't know what he was talking about (didn't help that he looked like Jonah Hill). :confused:

So, I drove 10 miles to the next one and asked the same question. The rep told me it would be no problem to pre-order, activate and then come in later to port the # over as long as my AT&T contract has expired (it has). This guy definitely seemed to know what he was talking about.

Anyone else planning on switching carriers at launch and how are you going about it?

2. Audifan1502 macrumors member

I will be switching carriers too. I have talked with people in store and on the phone and was told by both parties at Verizon, that it would be easy to pre-order the phone and port my number over after I receive it. My contract doesn't end with ATT until the 14th. You and I should have no issues when doing this.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

If you order through Apple at least, you can have your number ported the instant you activate the new iPhone. I went from AT&T onto my parents Verizon family plan with the iPhone 5. Just had to put the AT&T account information when ordering the 5 and my number was instantly ported upon activation of the iPhone 5 and the AT&T account automatically cancelled.

You can do a mock run using the 5s to see the steps to do so. Just don't hit complete order... ;)

4. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

I'm doing this. It is a very easy process to port your number over after recieving the phone. Just have to get ahold of AT&T and tell them you want to cancel and release the number for porting and then Verizon will take it. Sounds like the first guy hasn't been there very long :rolleyes:

5. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Mine actually ends on the 14th too but by the time I receive the phone it will be expired.
    I'll check that out, thanks!

6. Audifan1502 macrumors member

Exactly!:D

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Not sure if that will effect things. My contract on AT&T was long dead( since I bought the 4 on launch day and Apple changed the iPhone release to the fall with the 4S).

But it was a very simple process for me. Just input the necessary information while pre-ordering the phone, received the phone, activated it, and everything happened automatically.

8. Smith2000 macrumors member

Porting is easy

Have your account number for AT&T ready to go and pre order on vzw.com or store.apple.com at 12:01 otherwise you might not get your phone on launch.

One or both websites may go down due to demand, so be ready to try both websites ideally.

9. Y2JDMBFAN macrumors regular

Just an FYI, DO NOT contact the carrier you are porting from and tell them to cancel the line, it happens automatically when you port into the new carrier. THERE IS A BIG RISK OF LOSING YOUR # IF YOU CAN YOUR CURRENT CARRIER AND CANCEL BEFORE YOU PORT.

10. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Switched yesterday to T-Mobile. I thoroughly tested them on and off for about a year. The LTE signal is a little weaker than AT&T's band 17, however, it is much faster. Overall the service in my area with T-Mobile has drastically improved. While some areas are better than others, I'm finding low LTE signal in places that previously had EDGE. At home, I was barely holding onto LTE, not I sit at around -100dbm-110, which is very usable. OH and wifi calling.

I rarely travel, and T-Mobile will only get better. I got sick and tired of supporting a company like AT&T. Everybody hates on T-Mobile, but I actually get service with them inside one of my favorite stores, compared to AT&T, who had no service on my 5S. T-Mobile liked to switch back and fourth from GPRS/E/4G/LTE but I technically had working service. GPRS only came on when I was in the very very back of the store.

11. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Good point...With one day left in the contract on order day, it could be dicey. Knowing AT&T they would still want to charge an ETF.
    Yeah, I figured there would be no need to call but thanks for the heads up

12. julius071 macrumors regular

During iPhone 5 launch I went through Apple website and switched from T-mobile to Sprint, no problem there. I simply picked the color, size and carrier I wanted then everything was simple from there. Granted when I got my phone on launch day (picked up at my local UPS store) I waited about two weeks for my case to arrive and walked into Sprint and activate the phone there, no issues at all.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I believe you'll be fine since your AT&T service won't end until the 19th( when the Verizon phone is activated) and you'll be out of contract by then.

I would go ahead and preorder it on Friday. If AT&T complains and tries to give you the ETF, fight fight fight. How much is the ETF anyway this close to the end of the contract?

14. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Prolly $10 or 20 at most...it'd be worth it to me if I don't have to run to the Verizon store and fight the crowds to get it ported.

15. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

actually it would be $325 - (23 x $10) so nearly $100 in etf fees.

16. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

Just decided I'll be switching to Verizon from AT&T as well. Looking to get the single line plan though. Do I have to order through Verizon's website for that?

17. rphutchinson macrumors newbie

it seems to be impossible to preorder the iphone 6 with a single line plan on the VZW site, at least I haven't been able to find the right path. Even if you start by first visiting the single line plan page they want to force you to pick one of the shared plans. I don't see any reason in the single line plan's terms that should prevent you from getting that plan with iphone 6. It's probably just VZW trying to force people who don't know any better to get a more expensive plan they don't need.

18. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Yep, I couldn't bring up the single line plan when I placed the order either.

19. gbh11 macrumors newbie

I did call and reach a customer service rep. Supposedly, you will be able to change your plan to the Single Line Plan AFTER you receive and activate your iPhone 6.

Hopefully, that is true, as the $60/month Single Line Plan is a promotion itself, and could end at any time.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm switching from VZW to ATT.

I'm not pre-ordering, I'll wait until my contract ends and then once the phone I want is in stock.

21. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Good to know, thanks!

22. puma1552 macrumors 601

I was told by a Verizon rep that I had to change to the single line plan after receiving the phone but before activating it...doesn't the contract start when you activate the phone? If that's the case it would make the most sense to change it before the contract starts I would think.

As for porting the number, as mentioned if you order off Verizon's site there is a section to port your number from your other carrier, so I just did that and my confirmation email lists my current number as my line number for VZW, so I think that all takes care of itself. From there, from what I understand is once you activate the new phone with your old number ported, your other contract terminates automatically and your ETF will be applied - to my knowledge you shouldn't even have to bother calling your old carrier (though I would to make sure the account is closed on their end and in good standing after making what you think should be the last payment).

23. penguinpanini macrumors newbie

Single-line plan for iPhone 6?

Very frustrating. I was planning to switch from AT&T to the Verizon Single-Line plan as it seemed much cheaper, but when I was pre-ordering early this morning through the VZ website, it would only allow for the much pricier 'More Everything' plan. I couldn't find any clear answers about whether I'd be able to change it to the $60 Single-Line, so I ended up renewing with AT&T.

(I tested phones other than the i6 on VZ's site, and the others DID allow check-out with the Single-Line plan, so I assumed they might be specifically prohibiting it for the i6, since they can goad enough eager early-adopters into paying the higher More Everything prices.)

Reading other threads, it seems VZ reps may be giving people different answers about this. Oh well - guess they lost a potential customer by being intentionally non-forthcoming about their most affordable options.

24. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Anyone that is switching to Verizon receive tracking or shipping notifications yet?

25. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

No AT&T will have to pry unlimited data out of my cold dead hand.