Switching carriers during pre-orders/launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SirOmega, Aug 29, 2015.

1. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

How much of a hassle is it to switch carriers during the pre-order process? Every year I wake up at midnight and place my pre-order for the next iPhone. But this year I'm also switching from AT&T (family's acct) to Verizon (my wife's account). Is it a hassle? More than I want to deal with at 12:30 in the morning? Or is it smoother now (the last time I switched carriers/plans in a major way was 2004 or so just after wireless number porting became a thing, and it was a tremendous screw up on AT&T's part).

Given that I'm moving between two plans, neither of which I'm the account administrator (though I know both SSNs, account numbers, and online passwords), I'm a bit worried. Wouldn't want to break my consecutive phone-on-launch-day streak! ;)

2. rapicell macrumors regular

Well, adding a line won't be hard since all you'd do is select the new iPhone (probably want to log in early to get things setup), but porting the number (if you decide to), I don't know how that'll affect things

3. techspin macrumors 6502a

Probably not a good idea given how quickly popular phone configs run out. Different story if you're shooting for a bottom of the barrel 16 GB silver Sprint model. :D

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I personally would avoid adding a complication to a process that has in the past been fraught with problems. Either wait until supplies meets demand, or switch now, or just live with your current carrier.

5. SirOmega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm tempted to just wait two weeks and walk into a Verizon store when there is enough stock (Silver 64GB). Hopefully Apple's supplies are adequate for launch.