Switching carriers for iPhone 6 release

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3lite, Aug 20, 2014.

1. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

I'm planning on switching to AT&T from Verizon as soon as the iPhone 6 is released. Should I switch carriers a week prior to release date or on pre-order day? What should I do?

I want to ensure that I get the new phone on time and not by October/November.

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If you are out of contact, I would do it now. It is going to be crazy when the 6 is released.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you can switch now, that would be better since things will certainly be much more busier once the 6 hits the streets.

4. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

I also advising you to switch now, don't wait for releasing of iPhone 6. :)

5. sandmanfvr macrumors member

Yeah switching and getting a new shiny iPhone will be hectic on all carriers, my wife is getting the 6 and i told her to preorder it on Sprint. I have till February till my contract is up, I will see if the carrier will be lenient and let me renew to get a new iPhone sale or I wait and pay for it outright. Anyway getting your iPhone in the all the hustle AND activating on the carrier/transferring your number may cause issues. So yeah go now if you can, but here the question if you swap now what will you use?

6. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

You can switch now. If you have a Verizon iPhone 5S it is already unlocked and will work on AT&T. You can sign up for service using the 5S and get the iPhone 6 when it comes out using NEXT or a full subsidy upgrade.

7. 3lite thread starter macrumors 6502a

3lite

What? Are you sure? I have the Verizon 5S. I can just cancel Verizon now and switch to AT&T with this same 5S and number??

8. dragon671556 macrumors member

dragon671556

I've considered switching carriers as well; except it would be leaving ATT and going to Verizon. ATT is horrible in my area anymore; reporting it does no good. I am thinking of switching this coming weekend.

9. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

Yep, the Verizon iPhone 5-5s is unlocked and I'm pretty sure you can use it on AT&T. All you would need is an AT&T sim.

10. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

Careful there.. he also wants to keep the same number. If he cancels Verizon service before switching to AT&T, he'll almost certainly lose his number. He needs to port over to AT&T, NOT straight up cancel.

11. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Always amazing that folks are ready to give answers without really knowing the question.

For example, if he bought the Verizon on a contract a month ago, he would have a serious penalty to switch now. He has a 5S - so???

And as mentioned, he needs to port and not just cancel.

12. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Also, because of how the phone was activated, I dont know if LTE will work on that phone. He may be only able to get up to "4G". Has anyone switched from Verizon to AT&T, kept their device, and got LTE?

13. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

I don't think your ATT will work on Verizon, unless they added it to their database. And that is unlikely. If you have a device that is already set up for use with verizon, then you will be ok.

14. dragon671556 macrumors member

dragon671556

I'll have to buy a new phone. I'm okay with that to be able to actually use my phone and make calls when I need too.

15. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

My comment was because the new phones are a few weeks away and your post sounded to me that you need to pull the trigger now. If you can wait a few weeks, it would be worth it, even if you wanted the iPhone 5.

16. illippinno, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014

illippinno macrumors regular

illippinno

I've actually switched from T-Mobile to AT&T when the iPhone 4 came out, as well as switched from AT&T to Verizon when the iPhone 5 came as well so hopefully this info helps:

When I went from T-Mobile to AT&T, I actually pre-ordered the device on Apple's website for an in-store pick-up, which the Apple staff did everything for me in-store during the release.

When I switched from AT&T to Verizon for the iPhone 5 release, I was already out of contract with AT&T, and decided to have it mailed to me instead as opposed to going in store, and all I had to do was go to Verizon's website to pre-order the 5 as if I am a new customer. During my order, they will ask you if you would like a new number, or if you'd like to transfer your number to their carrier (which you should choose). Nothing will happen until you receive your new device.

Once I got my 5 in the mail, I simply activated it thru iTunes and my iPhone 4 (from AT&T) instantly stopped working, and my iPhone 5 became active right away on Verizon's network. I received a letter/bill from AT&T the following month indicating my cancellation of their service, as well as any fees because it cancelled in the middle of a billing cycle.

OR if you wanted to switch over now:

Yes, you can actually use your Verizon iPhone 5s with AT&T. It came factory unlocked and I've actually tried it out myself with my friend's AT&T sim card and everything worked fine.

You won't have to go through Verizon to cancel - you can go straight to AT&T and they can port your account there when you sign up with them, and they'll automatically cancel Verizon for you.

Just a heads up - when you do get your iPhone 6, you may or may not still experience activation issues. Since a lot of people will get their devices the same time as you, Apple's server may be bombarded with people activating their devices, which is why I suggest going through my earlier post so that it's at least all done at once.

Hopefully that helps!

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yes, porting would be needed to keep the number. However purely from phone capability side of things the 5S from Verizon will be just fine on AT&T (or T-Mobile).

----------

That would apply to the 5, while 5C/5S will get LTE and work just fine on AT&T.

18. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

My girlfriend and I made the switch when we ordered the iPhone 5. It was no biggie (We switched right back, though).

19. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Do it before. The last thing you want is wasting more time at the Apple Store on launch day. It's going to be a mess on that day, no matter what.