Carrier Switching Carriers for iPhone Preorder

DrSayre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2016
I have not seen this question yet, sorry if it's common.

I currently have a 5S with Sprint and wanting to switch to AT&T prepaid with an iPhone X. When I try to order an AT&T iPhone 8 through the Apple Store app, it wants my AT&T information. I guess I could create an AT&T prepaid account so that I have that ready... but I want to keep my number, so Im not sure I want to switch my number just yet and not be able to use my Sprint iPhone until my new iPhone comes.

Has anybody had a similar issue to this? Trying to figure out my plan of attack.

DrSayre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2016
What would happen if I use a family member's phone number, last 4 ssn, and zip code? Would I be able to change the number when the phone comes in?

rumz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I'm on T-Mobile and bought a Verizon iPhone last year-- and to do so I had to set up a new phone line on my Verizon account (which only had iPad data at that point). Basically I activated my phone on a new phone number and then switched numbers (sim cards, really) after the fact to run it on T-Mobile.

I know you're in a different scenario, but yeah, you will need an active line of service to get that phone, and I would *think* that you could port your number to AT&T after you've set up your account-- you'd just have to jump through some hoops. I would call AT&T and confirm, however. (Or see if someone else chimes in here that's done exactly what you're doing-- porting their number after buying their new phone).

Actually, one last thought-- how are you buying / paying for the phone? If you're going through Apple, you could possibly just upgrade your Sprint line to the iPhone X and do as I did-- just swap sims later (once you port your number over, in your case). At least it worked this way with Verizon. Is the Sprint model the same as the Verizon model? (I think it is, which only leaves me with the question as to whether the Sprint phone will be locked... the Verizon phone was not.)

Maybe there are some flaws in my thinking. Anyone?

DrSayre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2016
If you're going through Apple, you could possibly just upgrade your Sprint line to the iPhone X and do as I did-- just swap sims later (once you port your number over, in your case).
I am wanting to buy through Apple (and enroll in the upgrade program). This sounds good! Does anybody know what it would take to switch a Sprint iPhone X to AT&T?

rumz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I am wanting to buy through Apple (and enroll in the upgrade program). This sounds good! Does anybody know what it would take to switch a Sprint iPhone X to AT&T?
Ahh... might not fly. According to this article, there's a minimum number of days a Sprint phone has to be active before it can be unlocked-- and Verizon is the only one who doesn't have a "active period" requirement. Maybe check with Sprint? Your account is older than 50 days, not sure the device has to be on there for 50 days.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3201885/apple-phone/unlock-your-iphone-verizon-att-sprint-t-mobile-virgin-mobile.html

I still wish there was just a single model iPhone for NA and that any phone you bought from Apple was unlocked-- that was supposed to be one of the ideas behind the upgrade program-- you bought through Apple and could take your device to any network any time even if you still owed a balance on your phone.

DrSayre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2016
Thanks for that... yeah I thought the upgrade program (or buying it outright) would make a lot of this stuff a mute point... I didnt realize it would be an issue until I tried to test buying an AT&T iPhone 8 that I would need an AT&T account.

rumz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Thanks for that... yeah I thought the upgrade program (or buying it outright) would make a lot of this stuff a mute point... I didnt realize it would be an issue until I tried to test buying an AT&T iPhone 8 that I would need an AT&T account.
Right. I mean, eventually they will sell an "unlocked" / carrier free version of iPhone X, but I imagine they don't initially in order to, among other things, reduce the amount of scalping and such that goes on.

Interestingly, the iPhone 8 launched with a carrier free version. First time I've ever seen that option at launch.