Switching Carriers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtgfreal, Dec 2, 2011.

1. mtgfreal macrumors newbie

Hey,

So I recently got an ATT 4s on nov 27th and Im not really liking the service near me, i got a few dropped calls already, connections dont go through or take along time before the first ring starts.

I'm thinking about switching over to verizon and I read that you can cancel your contract with ATT for the frist 30days of starting the plan if I don't like their service? But I have to pay for the first months service I used.

So Here is my question, when I opened the phone, my aunt heard that the guy said since I have an iPhone, I am only allowed 3days to return the phone but the service I have 30days to cancel. Is that true?

Because I plan on sucking up with ATT till mid dec so I don't waste money since I'm going to have to pay for the months useage anyways. Can I just use the phone till mid december, go to ATT store and say I want to cancel service without penalty, give back the iphone4s in mint condition, and then drive over to Verizon store and open a new plan and get the CDMA iphone 4s?

Also I would like to keep the number I'm using so shoudl I jsut go to verizon store and port the number and cancel the att plan at verizon store instead?

Any inputs?

Thanks!

-Nathan

2. 305rob305 macrumors member

Go to Verizon and port the number. Then you go to ATT and return the phone. They will refund you the amount you paid for the phone minus 35 restocking fee. They will send you a bill for the days you used the phone... Not a whole month.

3. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

ive had verizon for 4 years and havent had a single dropped call in that time. you will like verizon.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You have 30 days to return the phone AND cancel the service. I am not sure why you were told that you could only return the phone in the first three days.

5. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Yup you just have to pay what you used and return the phone done it before if you return it before 3 days you don't pay anything tho ( or at least that's how it is for sprint)

6. mtgfreal thread starter macrumors newbie

I used around 10min of calling but i have unlim mssg so i get free calling anyways, so I just pay for the:

$20 texting unlim,
    200mb/2gb data that I used
    and the minutes that I used if I did use some?

Thanks I just wanted to double check.

So all I would do is go to verizon store and port my number first or do I go to att to cancel contract first?

Thanks again!

-Nathan

7. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I attempted this earlier this summer with the iPhone 4 on AT&T. I ported my number back to T-Mobile and was hit with the ETF even though I was still within my 30 days. They said, I would would have not been hit if I had returned the phone first and then cancelled through them. Of course I said, well then how would I have ported my number back? They said you wouldn't have and that's how it is. I called AT&T up and it took a few weeks but they waived the ETF. They had to call the store and verify that I returned the phone in order to waive the ETF but they did it.

I DID NOT get back that first month's bill. Just make sure you have them notate your account thoroughly. It shouldn't be a problem. You'll have to call a few times because one rep will tell you one thing, and the next one will say something different. Very frustrating indeed but you go through it if you want to keep your number from falling into oblivion.

Good luck!!!!

8. mtgfreal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, So if I want to do it the easy way, I would have to loose my number and get a new one. If I do it the hard way I have to go through all that?

Hmm, I think ima talk to att first then go to verizon and see what they have to say.

Thanks!

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that you will only get only charged the full activation price, plus the pro-rated charge of the days of service you used. If your service sucks only where you live, but good everywhere else, you should reconsider. Are you sure Verizon is any better? I'd never sacrifice the benefits of AT&T (high speed data, talk/data) to go to Verizon. Have you considered getting a Microcell? Most people that get it actually see a vast improvement in their service in their home. You should give that a try, it works both on voice and data. Complain to AT&T enough and you may get a free/reduced one.

10. mtgfreal thread starter macrumors newbie

Reception in my house, and area is like 3bars or so and at school its like 2. better than tmobile before I switched, but tmobile at my house was always full bars. So idk.. But people near me and at my school says that verizon they get pretty good signal just data kinda sucks, but for me im on wifi 95% of the time at school and at home so data doesn't really worry me. I usually worry about the signal so I can send the texts or calls with clear crisp voice.

I always counted it as this way, idk if its true, but if i have 1bar or 2 bar of signal with fast data, wont that equal the same as like a full bar signal with ehh data? IDK thats how I thought of it haha.

Thanks for input though!

11. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

If coverage is poor at your house you could always try and score a free micorcell with AT&T. Worked for me as I was averaging 1-3 bars at home and dropping a few calls. The microcell works great with my iPhone 4s. Ya just have to turn off cellular data.

Just tell them your thinking of switching to Verizon and you're still within your 30 days. You could probably get a free one like I did.

12. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

And oh yeah, if you're in California, the law dictates that you have 30 days to return the phone.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Let me break this down for you. You said you had the phone since the 27th. Thats about 5 days. You only pay for the days you used the services.

So 5 days worth of the $20 unlimited messaging ~ $3.33
    5 days worth of $40 450 minutes plan, assuming you didn't go over ~ $6.66
    5 days worth of the $25 2GB data ~ $4
    Restocking fee (not sure if they do this anymore, but someone said $35)

So without restocking fee you are looking at about $15. With you are looking at about $50. They will also refund the $200 you paid for the phone.

14. mtgfreal thread starter macrumors newbie

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I have no idea what you are getting at here. I can say I just came from sprint (had them for a year, so not jsut since thye got the iphone) and always had full bars in my house. AT&T I generally have 2-3 bars and my data is 2-3x faster than it ever was on Sprint.

16. mtgfreal thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I guess your'e right then. I was with tmobile and was always on edge so anything seemed faster lolol. But I'm on wifi 95% of the time so data speed isn't really a biggie for me.

Thanks!

17. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm not really sure what you're saying here, but your signal strength is related to your data speed and the stability of it. With AT&T, since their network is faster, a lower signal strength on 3G is actually works well, before it drops to E. Now, with Verizon, having used my Sister's is a different story. The theoretical limit of the iPhone 4S is 14.4Mbps/s due to the HSPA+ technology that's only included with the AT&T version while on Verizon is 7.7Mbps/s. But, if you're always going to be on WiFi, it may be a moot point.