Switching cellphone carriers? what will happen to myIphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1337, Jan 10, 2011.

1. 1337 macrumors newbie

I have an iphone using AT&T but I'm going to switch to verizon in February. What will happen to my iphone? Will it lock up or can I use it like an itouch with a camera?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can use it like an iPod touch, you just cannot make phone calls.

3. 1337 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

4. Cphaggar macrumors newbie

Like mentioned above, you can still use your iPhone as an iPod. As for what will hale. To the functionality of your phone when you switch carriers, that's a different story all together. If you're switching to verizon from AT&T say goodbye to multidirectional data transfers, such as talking on the phone while browsing the Internet, or talking on the phone while using google maps. That is a function of gsm networks and is not supported by CDMA networks.

Ask anyone who has an android or eve phone when the last time they put their girlfriend on speakerphone while they checked their email, or browsed the web. They're likely to ask you where the nearest AT&T store is so they can get on a real data network.

With that said, verizon will have better voice coverage than AT&T, personally I use my phone for it's data way more than for phone calls.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

Have to wonder how many people actually use that function. I myself have only used it a handful of times in 3 years of iPhone ownership. But I think many will gladly give up the function, in favor of better signal coverage and fewer dropped calls. Heck, most of us will gladly pay to break our contract with AT&T so we can be free from their mess.

I've never been a big Verizon fan, but if they're going to embrace more of the iPhone's capabilities, instead of limit it like AT&T routinely has, then I'm on board with Verizon. Can you hear me now?

6. nitemare macrumors regular

i use voice and data all the time. its helpful when talking with the wife/girlfriend/family and trying to make plans like what time a movie is playing helping a lost friend or family member get directions or need to look up a number of a place they are going. with all the laws that limit texting and driving (which is a good thing) you can talk to someone on the phone that can look up the info on their phone for you

7. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

Fail. Might want to do some research before posting such drivel. :rolleyes:

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

For the record, I used it all the time as well, pretty much every time I am on a call.

9. A Mac Gamer macrumors member

Wife/girlfriend/family... sounds like your hands are full.

10. Cphaggar macrumors newbie

Might want to make a claim in your statement champ, you didn't really say anything did you? What I said is true, do some research buddy.

11. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Recommend you sell it on ebay and buy an iTouch4! Same functionality as a paper-weighted iPhone but cheaper. Might even make some money on the deal.

12. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I use the talk and surf all the time. between checking movie times or checking my email that someone im talking to had just sent me among other things for business. Plus verizons network is dramatically slower for data. I rarely have problems with getting service in my area so im staying put. (not to mention it would cost me $800 in etf fees for 2 iphone 4s haha)

13. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

14. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Except the iPod's screen is not half as good. Blacks on the iPod are barely medium gray...worst blacks I have seen since the old iPhone/iPod.

15. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

SVDO :rolleyes:

16. TLewis macrumors 65816

Verizon has been working on getting simultaneous voice/data working, presumably for an iPhone. No word on when it'll be available, though. Could be soon, or could be months/years.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

THey abandoned those plans long ago when they decided to go LTE path.

18. Cphaggar macrumors newbie

I'm sure by now you've all seen the verizon announcement, where they said something very similar to "Like other CDMA devices, the Verizon iPhone will not be able to handle data and voice calls simultaneously, meaning no browsing the web while you talk on the phone."

Next time, if you're going to act like a know-it-all, at least back up your claims, dick.

19. 1337 thread starter macrumors newbie

Some of you guys misunderstood. I don't want to use the same phone for verizon. I will be buying another iphone for my verizon contract.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

as long as you keep your att sim (even if deactivated) you can activate your iphone that will let you upgrade the os and use it as a touch device

21. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

Although having no simultaneous voice and data may be a drawback, in all of my years of using a smartphone on verizon, I think i've had to use it two or three times, and I just told them i'd call them back. it's really not a humongous ordeal like others make it seem :rolleyes:

I say welcome to Verizon! You're going to love it here :) (from a happy verizon customer for 5 years)