Switching classes advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bc008, Nov 28, 2007.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

please read all to get the picture.

well, i have a question that ive really been thinking about in real life, and have brought it up to my parents, so i thought i could bring it online.

heres the story:

in the beginning of this school year i was in drafting, and hated it. the work was hard, boring, and to top it all off it was the worst group of kids to ever be in a single class. long story short, the only class i could switch into at the time was NJROTC. I did that.

i was in drafting for 7 weeks
    i have been in NJROTC for 6 weeks

i hate NJROTC, almost as bad as drafting but not as bad. Its not the class anymore, i feel so out of place. (NJROTC is Naval Junior Officers Training Corps, AKA high school navy) i get made fun of in there because the so called "rich" clothes i wear, hate the exercising, and the dreaded uniform day (wear a uniform to school)

heres my question. would it be overkill to go ask my counceler to be switched again into a simple computers class or something at semester change (5 weeks from now) because then all classes will be open again. or do you think i should stick it out til the rest of the year? i really do dread this class, just as drafting. It ruins all of my odd days, and even spreads into the last hour of my even days.

what should i do?

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Stay in the NJROTC.

Will look better on your transcript than the 3 classes switch...

stick it out - you will learn stuff that may not be apparent now but in few years the lessons will make sense and you will be thankful for them.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You'll learn stuff by talking to your counselor and staying in a class you hate, rather than bailing.

You definitely will likely be stuck with a worse bunch of losers in an actual job at some point, and you will have to decide whether the money is worth waiting for them to bail or hunt for another job.

Shows some character to actually work with someone you hate, sometime you may get paid a lot of money to work with scumbags you detest.

And I don't mean you talking to a lawyer. But as a lawyers and/or accountant you may deal with scumbags a lot more than the average joe -- and their job depends on smiling at them and making them happy with you job performance.

so at some point, you may say if you can handle this class, you can deal with this ******* for a few weeks ... and cash a big check.

4. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

If you can get into a computer class and you feel deep down inside that it will be better than go ahead and switch. There is no reason to continue doing something that you do not enjoy when there are other logical options.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well in the real world you have to deal with crap you hate but that is what everyone says. Something more in your near future is wait until college. You will get some class hate and dread going to. What makes it worse is you have no choice you have to take it if you want to get your degree. Every major has a few classes that everyone just hates and dreads going to. For my major it seem to be physic 2 and Themo where both pretty much hated. Phys 2 I had hated it. I did not like the material, I did not understand it so yeah I had to make myself go every day even though I hated it. Also hated transportation but I find other ones of my class quite enjoyable. A lot of work but very enjoyable.

Just wait you will get a few classes in college you will hate and have no choice. They are part of the price you pay to complete said major.

6. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

if what all of you are saying is true, shouldn't i switch while i can, to make my entire life that much happier?

i guess ill go ask my councilor and see what he thinks

7. Sayewhat macrumors member

Stick it out. It's only 5 weeks more weeks. You may learn something in there like everyone else is saying. It sounds like you are at the point in high school where you don't really know what you do later in life. Staying in the NJROTC can give you some good habits such as leadership, structure, and healthy living (AKA exercising, being outdoors, and not being a blob). The easy way out leads to laziness.

8. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

and you hate it? There's no reason to stay with it for 4 years if you hate it and it's possible to switch to something else that you may like.

the usual advice about making the best of something you hate cuz that's the real world, etc....well, that's true when you don't really have an option to improve your situation, but when you do have the option...take it!

10. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

You should definitely talk to your counselor. Yes in the "real-world" you will often be in positions you do not enjoy or stuck in situations that you hate, but the reason people are stuck in those places is because they do not take action to change their situation. Do not stick it out just for the experience of sticking it out. Take the initiative and find out what your options are.

11. jng macrumors 65816

jng

high school is miserable anyways, why add 4 years of a class you hate on top of that? I'd switch out if it's a 4 year commitment. If it were a semester commitment, that's another story.

As for real life and jobs, the kid's a freshman. let him at least try to enjoy being a kid.

12. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

High school is pretty crappy. If you don't like it don't do it. Yea you should do your best and stay out of trouble ad all that junk, but college is what really counts.

13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

You've just taken two classes and didn't like either of them. What's to say you'll like the 3rd class any better? If it were the subject matter that you didn't like (drafting and Naval training) then I would say yeah, switch to something you do like. But it sounds more like it's the people in the classes you didn't like, in which case you probably won't have any better luck in a third class. I think talking to your councilor is a good idea and then maybe seeing if you can try to get along with your peers a little better. That's not a criticism, I don't know you or your classmates at all, but I do know that attitude makes all the difference in the world when dealing with other people.

14. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

i normally wouldnt switch out of a class w/ people. but the combination is what got me. and the tedious drawing in drafting was something i couldnt do, and my grade suffered. I am scared of anything to do with the armed forces, and in my mind am disagreeing with everything they are telling me.

long story short, i went to my counselor and he laughed and said if colleges cared about things like a freshmen switching out of an elective a couple of times, then half the people that are in college today wouldnt be.

im in a computers class, which i will love. (it always has been my favorite class) and if i dont, its only a semester course, not a 1 year and a 4 year.

only 5 more weeks to go.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think you should get out of that class. If you're unhappy, forget it. High school is the place you get to see what tickles your fancy.

I'm guessing you have all the basics right? English, math, science, history, some kind of PE, and a foreign language are pretty standard for most high school students. Make sure you have the foreign language, because you'll need 3 years of it if you're serious about going to a good school (top 50 in the US). Also, be sure to have your math done up to Calc 1 by your senior year.
    :)

16. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

yes, i actually do want to be fluent in french, and possibly live there, so i am not taking french my freshmen year. our school has 3 years of french, so when i take in in college i want it all to be fresh in my mind without taking a year off.

17. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

sorry for bringing up an old thread, but i thought i would tell people the current situation

with semester change 2 weeks away, its getting pretty close.
    but my question is, how do i go about telling my "Commander" im switching out? i have to tell him because i have to turn in my uniform and stuff.

i know they will be sad/mad but i think im just going to tell them the truth, its not for me and i want to get the most out of my high school experience, sorry