Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umrdad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
i haven't been able to find any info if it is EVEN possible or how to do it on changing the drive in an external fantom drive FCD40FW i'm guessing it's a regular internal drive in an external case, the drive works fine planning on putting it in desktop running OS9 and a CD-DVD burner in the fantom case before i go any further is it possible? then there's the compatibility issues w/which drive will work with least stress . . . . . appreciate all replys

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Whilst I cannot speek for that case in particular pretty much every external drive is a standard 3.5" (desktop) or 2.5" (laptop) drive in a case with a bridge board. Assuming the bridge board can handle the size of the new drive you can swap drives without issue, assuming you can open the case.

umrdad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
thanks for the reply it's standard box computer size drive drive from the front i think i've figured out how it comes apart . . . . so now the question is do CD only and CD/DVD drives take the same plugs/connectors? any suggestions on drives to avoid (i really hate those WTF??? kind of problems)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
umrdad said:
thanks for the reply it's standard box computer size drive drive from the front i think i've figured out how it comes apart . . . . so now the question is do CD only and CD/DVD drives take the same plugs/connectors? any suggestions on drives to avoid (i really hate those WTF??? kind of problems)

In general yes, but they may not be supported by the bridge chip used.

umrdad

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Lite-On LTR-40125S

thanks again i now have more technical info the drive is a Lite-On LTR-40125S has standard connections on back of drive (according to pics on web, not opening up till sure, 1st do no harm) 2 firewire ports on rear NO USB an audio jack on/off switch and ac power connector . . . . . if this box will work w/internal dvd drive i see no reason to spend the extra $ to have another external drive that will also burn CD's . . . any knowledgeable (or wiseass for that matter) replies appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.