Switching drives/systems between Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. Safe?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sparkie7, Oct 7, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I have my Mac Pro 2.8 8 core as my main machine. And my MBP 17 as my 'mobile' workstation when I'm on the road or out of the studio.

I back up my MP system and files using CCC to an external drive. Usually I manually copy just the working folder of files that I need to my MBP and work away. When I get back to the studio I manually copy the same folder back to my MP.

The question is.. is it ok to boot off my MP System+files backup off the external drive while connected to my MBP? And work off it. Both have system 10.5.7 installed.

Will there be any problems with booting off essentially a MP configured system while working off the MBP's hardware. ie. will there be any conflicting system files that may get confused and screwed up?

If it was safe, then I could essentially cloned back from the MP external sys+files back up - Back - on the MP.

Just wanted to get some opinions and advice from others who probably have similar dual workstation & mobile machine set-ups. Just wondered how you handle the switching between systems?

I just don't want to risk cloning back from the external to the MP and risk screwing the whole setup and configs!

Otherwise I might just do what I have been doing and just manually copy the files/folders I need on the MBP. Do the work and then only just copy this folder back on the MP. Without any full system drive clones

Any advice + suggestions, as always, appreciated :)

2. rtrt, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  3. nanofrog macrumors G4

From a "Safest Practice" POV, you'd only want to share the data file being worked on if at all possible, as it can prevent strange issues.

But it does mean you need copies of all the needed applications on both systems (which I assume you do), and syncing the data files between systems when you work on it, no matter which machine. Even if it has to be done manually.

You'd have to figure out how much of a PITA this is, but I don't think it's too bad. Especially to avoid fixing a big mess if something did go wrong. ;)

Good luck. :)

4. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

just share files with firewire target disk mode, it's the safest. The MacPro and MacBook Pro have some different files that can really bollocks everything up.

5. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Thanks guys. I'll stick to the 'ol manual method :D