Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guuguus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
Hello,

I recently sold my gaming PC (4.6ghz 2700k with GTX 570 and SSD) and i'm left with my school laptop (a HP c2d 2Gb ram 160Gb piece of crap with a kind of dead huge 12 cells battery).
I'm not patient at all, and I want to have a snappy computer.
I tried an iPad3 but sold it because I didn't find it convenient.

After July I can choose between giving my laptop back to my school, or paying 100€ and keep it.
In september I start working and will have a work PC laptop.
I will probably replace my SGS1 for the next iPhone.

Im waiting for the new Macs to finally buy a decent setup again, but I can't decide which way to go!

What I do:
- Multitasking (mail client, 5-6 tabs in chrome, itunes, and video playback... which absolutely KILLS my current HP laptop...)
- Occasionnally Raw photo editing with lightroom and PS with many plugins (HP laptop is screaming of pain with this)
- I would LOVE to play Diablo 3 (very casual gaming, maybe 2h/day max) and it would be nice to play some Skyrim and BF3, but I could live without it, it's not an obligation.

I have a lot of data (about 2.2Tb), HD movies are on a 2Tb Samsung F4 and other stuffs (about 600Gb of music, photos, documents) on another F4, I have a USB3 dual HDD dock to hold them both. That dock is a bit noisy and needs to be right next to the computer.
The second F4 is backed up on a 2,5" 1Tb My Passport.

I would like your thoughts about the following scenarios:

Solution 1:
Buy a 2012 MBA in July (assuming they are out), and then buy a fully loaded 2012 iMac in september with a airport extreme and a Synology NAS with 2*2Tb to make 2*2Tb in Raid1 to reduce the hassle to sync both computer.

Cons:
having 3 computers (imac, mba and work laptop), one of them will be less useful and may become unused over time (hint: it will NOT be the work laptop ;/ )
hassle to sync both machines
expensive
Pros:
I can do whatever i want, and will be able to play games
the MBA will be a dream when on the move

Solution 2:
Buy a maxed out 15" 2012 MBP in July, upgrade SSd and ram and in september buy a Thunderbolt Display.

Cons:
will I have enough power to play some games?
having a 15" will not be as transportable as a 13" MBA
I will need to rely on that stupid noisy dock at home, will probably need to buy a NAS
Pros:
Cheaper
very clean desktop, all my things on one machine

Solution 3:
Spend 100€ to keep my HP computer from school, wait september so I get the company's laptop and buy an maxxed out iMac.

Cons:
I may commit suicide during summer, or throw my HP by the window
Really, that HP laptop is freaking slow... and HDD is always full
No macbook on the move!
Pros:
Cheapest solution

Thanks for your advice!

(please forgive eventual errors, im French :D )

Last edited:

guuguus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
What's your budget?

It's hard to tell, I saved a lot of money so I could use 5000€ to buy this setup, but do I really need to spend that much? I don't think so...
Let's say that I have the budget for all the solutions that I said (with maxxed out macs), but I need to choose the most practical.

Grossly:
The MBA i want is about 1900€
MBP: 3000€ + 200-300€ upgrade
iMac: 3000-3200€ + 150€ upgrade

Last edited:

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Get the MBP + TBD and an AEBS.

I love the portability of having a MacBook with everything I need in it. I keep everything on my MacBook but I don't have TB worth of data. I have a few DVDs I've ripped over the years on here that I could probably delete but that's about it.

guuguus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
Get the MBP + TBD and an AEBS.

I love the portability of having a MacBook with everything I need in it. I keep everything on my MacBook but I don't have TB worth of data. I have a few DVDs I've ripped over the years on here that I could probably delete but that's about it.

Yeah that's definitely what I will do.
Macbooks 15" packs some serious horsepower and it will be even better with 2012 refresh.

I just hope that they will be upgrade-able like the current ones! Throw 16Gb ram and 256 SSD and it will be perfect!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.