Switching from 11" MBA to Pro - Advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yep-sure, Jun 5, 2014.

1. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

Hi all,

Firstly, a bit of history. I previously owned a 2011 iMac, which I loved to death and was my main computer. I was running a second display, and it was my main machine. To compliment this, I bought a 2012 64GB 11" MBA.

Late last year, I moved from a house to a small apartment - I sold the iMac, and upgraded my 11" Air from a 2012 64GB to a 2013 256GB. This 11" Air is my only machine. I have no room for a desk.

I love the MBA, but it never leaves the house, so it's main advantage, the super portability, is wasted on me, and the lack of hard drive space is my main reason for thinking about an upgrade, and also the screen. It's just way too small to use as my only computer. It's fine for browsing the net, but I really noticed how limited it is the other day when trying to work on a document. I'd like to get back to doing so writing, and some coding, and it's just too hard on this little guy. My iTunes folder is 130GB, I have heaps of music, and its only going to continue to grow. I play music through my Air (either straight on through the Mac, or streaming to Apple TV). I use it around my apartment, (table, couch, bed) so constantly having a USB drive plugged in is not a convenient option.

So I'm looking at the MacBook Pro. Ideally, I want 1 TB of storage, but looking on the Apple online store, it seems only the higher end models can be upgraded to 1TB. I don't need a max spec'd machine, I just want a decent amount of storage that I don't have to worry about, and a screen I can work with, and cannot justify spending over $3000 AU (plus a lot more for a 1TB upgrade) just to get more storage and a bigger screen.

I'm considering the 13" cMBP, as you can upgrade to a 1TB pretty cheaply compared to the SSD's - however the fact this is two year old hardware doesn't sit right with me, even though it's basically what I need and even has a SuperDrive so I could burn CD's for the car!

Can you more knowledgable folk offer me some advice on which direction I should go? Is it worth just coughing up the extra money and get a 15" Retina with the 1TB of storage, that I will be more than happy with for 5 years? Do I go the cheaper option of the older hardware? Is there another option I'm not considering?

Thanks in advance.

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The main thing for buying older systems IMO is the price. If it's a truly great deal then hardware shouldn't be that outdated after just a few years. If the savings are trivial over a newer model then get the newer model.

As for sizing, I have the 13" MBP which I just purchased. I absolutely love it. But, your desired specs are higher than mine are. If you have the budget then the higher end 15" MBP with the TB of storage is probably a good buy for you. It'll cost a good buck but will last you for a while which sounds like what you want.

As for other options, just keeping an eye on refurbished models and maybe the used market is really alls there is.

3. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

You could always get one of the base models of rMBP and replace the SSD with a 1TB PCIe from eBay for about $550-600 and sell the original SSD to recoup some of the money.

Barney

4. Plerf macrumors newbie

If your computer never leaves home, buy an external drive that is accessible through wifi?

Surely such a thing must exist?

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Get an external 1tb USB 3 drive and plug it in when you need it. Alternatively, plug it into a router with a USB port and access it over wifi.

6. yep-sure thread starter macrumors 6502

yep-sure

For those interested, I went with the 13" Retina, the 8/512 model.

It's only been a day, but I'm loving it.