switching from 15" to 13"... will there be a restocking fee?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aye5882, Jul 21, 2009.

1. aye5882 macrumors member

hey everyone. i just bought the $2000 MBP on saturday and i realized that its kinda too big for my taste. i think i'll like the 13" better. do you think they'll charge me the restocking fee?

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

I'm assuming its open. Usually they will waive the fee if you UPgrade, but not necessarily if you downgrade. Sorry. You'll probably just have to eat it or make very nice with a manager who might help you out.

3. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

The normal procedure is to charge a 15% restocking fee if you've opened it. But I asked a representative online today and for a refurbished she said it was 10%. Maybe things have changed, it used to be 15% as well. So maybe you are lucky and they'll wave the fee. But remember you only have 14 days from the date of purchase.

4. 1ne macrumors regular

That's what happened to me. They waived it because I went from 15 to 17.

5. MacLover4491 macrumors member

Okay i would just upgrade to the 17''. Go home, dont open the box. Go back a few days later and return everything. =)

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If opened, there most likely will be a restocking fee, however you might get lucky and not get hit with it.

7. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Just be nice, and explain you made a mistake on your original purchase and they should be willing to waive the restocking fee if it means keeping $1000+ of your money.

I'm pretty sure the restocking fee is now 10%

8. MICMAC247 macrumors regular

MICMAC247

If you don't mind me asking...

I'm having the 13"/15" purchasing dilemma myself. Why did you chose to downgrade from the 15" to the 13"?

9. Prez87 macrumors newbie

Depends where you bought it from. If you bought it from Apple, then they will likely charge you a restocking fee. But if you bought it from any other big box retailor, then there will not be a restocking fee.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

;)

11. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Dont know if it works the same way for ipods....

But i bought the iPod touch on the rebate offer, realised a few days later after I had opened it that i'd prefer a nano so called apple and arranged a return/exchange. They said no problem and refunded me back the touch and I was able to purchase the nano:)