Switching from 16GB to 32GB iPhone4 Advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amitdoc2b, Oct 19, 2010.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

So I am out of space on my 16GB iPhone 4 and want the 32GB iPhone 4. I have this phone since the launch in June. My mom is eligible for an upgrade on her family plan (I am not on the family plan). Can she order the 32GB iPhone 4 online from Apple Store with her AT&T upgrade eligibility, give me the brand new sealed box, I can open it and switch my current microsim into the brand new 32GB phone, and sell my 16GB phone on eBay? Will there be any problems doing this (i.e. activation problems from the new 32GB phone)? Will it effect my mom's phone plan on her family plan account? Will there be any activation fees involved? How about upgrade fee by AT&T? When she orders the phone online should she put the current minutes plan I use for my phone, or her current phone plan under the family plan she is on? Thanks for any clarification.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes
    No.
    Yes, your mom will have to pay an $18.00 fee that is associated with a new phone/plan & she will have to cancel the iPhone data plan if she doesn't have one on her account.
    Answered above.
    She needs to order the phone and plan as she would want it. Your plan will go into effect once you swap sims and activate under your account.

Interestingly enough, these are all questions that have been asked here before or that could be asked at AT&T to ensure you get the best information possible. And by asking AT&T, I don't mean those live chat morons, calling a store helps.

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

How about MobileMe doesn't that give you more space?

Marc

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ I don't think cloud storage is adequate when you're looking for storage on your iPhone. Maybe that's just me.

5. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Agreed. Even for photos it's annoying because you can only upload so many at a time if I recall?

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I'm not sure about MobileMe but when I wanted to exchange my 16 for a 32 the Apple rep suggested MobileMe instead.

Marc

7. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I have to activate this new 32GB phone even though I put in my already activated microsim that I was using in my 16GB phone? How do I go about activating a phone that already has an activated sim in it? Or does placing the sim from my original iphone automatically activate it?

8. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually already have MobileMe but that doesn't solve my problem. I want to be able to keep and record as many photos/videos as possible on my phone without having to keep uploading. Most of my iTunes music videos are on my iPhone that take up a very large chunk of storage space, which I also want to keep as I travel through the subways where there is no internet connection.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Does your mother already have an older iphone and an iphone plan?

unless I am understanding your question wrong 2 iphones = 2 data plans so your mother is going to have to get a new data plan and pay $20 a month.... if she already has an iphone and is paying a data plan thats fine... but if she has a regular phone thats an extra $20 that she has to pay. Because you are already paying the data plan for the 16gb until the contract is over on that one.

10. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

No she doesn't. As long as you don't activate the new iPhone on her number, it doesn't require the data plan. What the guy needs to do once his mother receives the new iPhone is call up AT&T. Tell the CSR that you want to activate the phone with another SIM. The CSR will ask for the original SIM number, than the SIM number from the account you want to activate the phone on. That's it. The OP's mother will never have a data plan on her phone it as long as it never activates an iPhone on it.