Switching from 3G to 4 without contract..??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by boston44, Mar 15, 2011.

1. boston44 macrumors 6502

So my mom has an iPhone 3G currently and we are getting an iPhone 4 off craigslist tonight. My question is...given she is using the 3G which has a larger sim than the 4, can we simply change her to use the 4 with all her same contacts, emails, etc? Will I have to engage in "sim cutting"? Also, FWIW, she does have the $30 unlimited ATT data plan with the 3G, and we would be willing to continue that commitment. Thanks for the help!

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you don't want to deal at all with Att, you will have to cut the sim. Otherwise, go into one of their stores to get one. They might charge you though since you're not signing a contract or anything.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you dont get the iphone 4 for the $199-299 price and sign a 2 year agreement then just by switching and using one that you got of CL wont extend your contract.
    You'll either have to cut the sim or go to AT&T and have them give you one.
    The data plan and everything on her account will remain the same.
    When you plug the iphone 4 to her itunes you could restore from backup and transfer all her stuff on the new iphone.

4. boston44 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, so it seems to me that because I am paying $300 for the iPhone, it would be better to buy the $200 from ATT considering she's renewing the data plan either way.. But if I did want to go the $300 route, I could just ask ATT for a new sim? Sounds good, I'll probably just buy the iPhone off CL for the heck of it considering the nice price. Thanks!

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

She's not renewing the data plan or contract. Everything will stay the same and her contract will not be extended if she gets one used of CL.
    But Wow, $300 for an iphone 4 in working conditition is a steal.
    Make sure its for real and not a scam or anything. There's some crazy stories about people buying stuff of CL and meeting in public. Be carefull.

6. boston44 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a bunch! Yeah, the seller says she'll let me test/do whatever I want with it before I buy it. I have a feeling my mom is going to want to renew her contract anyway, so I guess this will end up being an extra iPhone!

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, if she renews she can get a brand new i4 for $199.
    But I'd use this for now and hold off another 3 months till the new iphone comes out this summer and not waste a 2 year agreement without seeing what Apple has in store for us this year;)
    Good luck dude.