Switching from 3gs > 4....will I HAVE to cut my SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by will0407, Jun 9, 2010.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I've seen this question asked quite a few times from searching the threads, but I've not found a definite answer.

I currently have a 3gs. I'm planning on buying an iphone 4 on pay as you go (UK), then just keeping my current contract sim. I'm not on an 'official' iphone contract. Does this mean I'm going to have to cut my cim card up to fit it in the micro sim tray?

I'm assuming there's no way o2 will give me a micro sim card whilst keeping my on my current contract, as they'll just tell me to get a proper iphone contract (which is £15 more per month than I'm currently paying with less mins etc)

2. monksealpup macrumors regular

If you don't/can't get a new SIM, then yes, you must cut it.

3. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

4. androiphone macrumors 65816

o2 WILL give you a new microsim for free!

you will NOT have to change any of your contract, like you have to in the US, you are free to use any sim plan in the UK (even one with no data) and you only have to sign a iphone plan if you buy a new iphone on contract

basically you will have to buy the pay and go iphone and then just put your new sim in it. you also get a free sim with the payandgo iphone that comes with 12months free data

If for some strange reason they cannot give you a new microsim then just buy the payandgo iphone and then cut your old sim down to microsim size and that will work 100%

just say something like 'I have a *sim only?* sim card and would like it transfered to a micro sim for my new iphone' -you do this when you buy the new iphone
    they will say 'are you sure you done want to move to one of our iphone sim only plans?'
    you say 'no'
    they tap on their keyboard and everything should be transfered then and there.
    if they say no way they can do it then you tell them that you'll just take the payandgo iphone and then cut your old sim down

5. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

On the "register here for more info" O2 webpage after filling in your details they say that they are planning to post out free micro-SIMs prior to the launch for existing customers wanting to upgrade.

6. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info guys- I'm on a normal contract (think i got the LG renoir when I upgraded last, sold the day it arrived!) so I wasn't sure if they'd transfer my details to a micro sim.

my next upgrade date is in september. I think I may just cut my sim card, as if they send me a micro sim, it might limit the upgrade options they give me if they know i have a micro sim- I only ever upgrade to sell the new phone because I'm usually happy with whatever I already have.