Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glycerine00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
Belgium
So, I kind of made an impulse purchase and I want your opinions.

I saw a great deal on an iPhone XS gold today and I snapped it up in the store. My current phone is the 6s+.
The reason I'm having second thoughts is that they were selling the XS Max for 50$ more (but it wasn't in stock and they didn't know when they would receive their orders).

In store I liked the actual phone size of the XS Max as it's the same as my old phone, but I didn't like the screen size. The screen size of the 6s+ was perfect for me, which according to the sales person is the same size as the XS since you lose the home button.

I'm just now doubting my choice because the XS feels so small in the hand after being used to such a large phone.
I am wondering if anybody made the same transition as me, going from a Plus version to a regular X/XS, and how did you find it? Did you regret it or did you actually get used to it really quickly?

I haven't opened the phone yet as I'm 40/60 on returning it for the bigger size and waiting.

For the record, I have always loved my 6s+ and it's still serving me amazingly, but I have noticed my battery has been really spotty the last few months. I can deal with it, but I do want to upgrade eventually for the camera and the gold color (shallow, I know). I want an XS or XS Max version because I don't like the camera design on the 11 Pro.

If anyone can give me some personal feedback it would be much appreaciated!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
One of the side effects of using anything for a long time is its familiarity becomes ingrained upon us. We get used to it and if it is a good design or product, it's hard to change for the "better".
That's true with most things: cars, operating systems, bikes, websites, food- we get used to them and like the familiarity.

Go by your gut instinct. If you already have doubts, then that's a hard NO, even though you think you're still hemming & hawing on it. Get the phone you really want.

Reactions: glycerine00

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
The screen size of the 6s+ was perfect for me, which according to the sales person is the same size as the XS since you lose the home button.

That sales person is in error, since there's less usable screen real estate on the XS than the Plus showing at one time (due to the Plus screen width--more horizontal points):

Reactions: Wide opeN

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That sales person is in error, since there's less usable screen real estate on the XS than the Plus showing at one time (due to the Plus screen width--more horizontal points):

Most sales reps have no idea what they're talking about.

The fact is, the 5.8" iPhone has less physical display area than a 5.5" iPhone.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Yes, a 19.5:9 aspect ratio really isn’t ideal in comparison to the 16:9 of the Plus models. When viewing a 16:9 video you’re only getting a 5” diagonal on the Xs vs 5.5“ of the Plus. That’s 25% more screen area while watching videos the Plus has over the Xs. The Xs Max is 5.53” so 1% more screen area than the Plus for 16:9 videos.
[automerge]1578173044[/automerge]
Most sales reps have no idea what they're talking about.

The fact is, the 5.8" iPhone has less physical display area than a 5.5" iPhone.

Yep, if you include the notch you’re looking at 12.8 sq. in for the Xs vs 12.9 sq. in for the Plus models. And the 16:9 aspect ratio is much more useful at that you could argue.

glycerine00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
Belgium
So quick update - The sales rep was wrong. They were selling a demo model for 749... and I think he was mistaken about back stock as well since my knowledge they don't produce the phone anymore.

I might just stick with the regular XS now..

glycerine00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
Belgium
@JokerPower Because I really want that gold color haha. I know it's stupid but the gold is one of the two reasons to switch, that and the camera :) And at this point I can't justify an extra 200 or more for the bigger version, because the phone is identical otherwise.
I will use this one as my personal phone, and my 6s is going to be my work phone, and I'll retire my old 5C.

Maybe in the future when they're selling off the last of the stock and the Max will get cheaper... :)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Exchange it for the Max. You came from a plus so you need and deserve the max. I upgraded from the 7 plus to the X and was miserable for the whole year. Get the max.

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.