Switching from a PC to a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarp2600, Mar 7, 2010.

1. sarp2600 macrumors newbie

Ok...I have decided to switch from a PC to a new Macbook Pro (whenever the new ones are released) but I am not 100% sold on switching from a MAC to a PC. Convince me.........:confused:

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

3. supham macrumors newbie

I've been on a PC since my first PC Clone 8088.

Here is my current Facebook Status that sums it up:

I apologize to all the Mac people out there that I have mocked for years, called them wannabes, Jobs lemmings, fanboys and Mactards. To the people I called fools when they said "It just works" We purchased a Macbook and well ... it just works. Connected to the network, shared files, shared iTunes, connected effortlessly to the wireless printer, sorted my photos for me. It just works

4. LesQQmorePewPew macrumors member

it just works for my pc too. dunno why macs are any different b/c lets be honest, they are pretty much the same.

5. lilo777 macrumors 603

Not so enthusiastic, aren't you? I am sure all your previous PCs did all that just as well. Some "switcher remorse" perhaps? ;)

6. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I made the switch one year ago. This involved seeking alternative software. For the first month I wasn't very sure. Now I can't go back to an OS without unix background.

The best thing about the mac is that it made me appreciate linux even more.

7. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Let's be honest, they are not the same.

Please unpack that statement, because on the face of it, you're mistaken.

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Why don't you try it and then decide after a time which you prefer.

It may be that there is no real need to invest time learning Mac OS X if Windows does everything you need well enough.

It's a personal choice for everyone, so no one thing is going to be particularly convincing for all cases. I like Web Development and think the Mac has some of the best tools for the job, none of which are available on the PC. If I had to spend a lot of time in Outlook, then a Mac would be completely pointless.

9. lilo777 macrumors 603

I agree, they are not the same. Usually they are underpowered cousins of their PC counterparts. :)

10. rumpus macrumors member

Its more of a personal experience than just some proof. I used Windoze for 12 years before switching to a Mac in 2007. It has been a life changing experience ever since. Its simple, elegant, powerful and user friendly to use a few adjectives.

I will pledge for a Mac among any computer and OS you give me. Try it out and you'll know what you've been missing so far.

11. mrskitch macrumors newbie

12. lilo777 macrumors 603

Are you talking about Windows 7? ;)

13. drech macrumors newbie

I was a die hard PC user since 2nd grade - only OS besides DOS I'd ever known. I laughed and called Macs lame and that they were for non-technical people (as I got older anyway), joked about the mitten mouse, had a great time making fun of the stupid smiley interface, etc., but never really knew anyone that had one.

Then my brother got one and I could see, first-hand, just how much better everything was. He was able to do cool ***** with the built-in apps that I could never do with my Windows OS. I was blown away by how the apps were integrated with each other but without bloat and endless, useless options. Only the core of the app config was there, only the stuff that mattered. When I found out OS X had a unix core, my mind flipped over on itself and that was it.

To that point my idea of computing was tweaking windows for performance, getting the latest upgrades, hanging out with the guys from the PC store backroom, all that stuff. After seeing my bro using his mac laptop, I realized a whole new level of usage. Actual usage to communicate with the world in a seamless, integrated way, where everything came together in an organic and natural sum. Sounds cheesy, and maybe it is, but it was truly a revelation.

Soon after I bought some iPods and a mac mini, immediately squeezed it to death, so a couple of weeks later, bought a Dual G5 desktop. After about a year with it, decided I wanted to go mobile, bought a MBP. Now waiting for the new MBPs, of course.

Not once since I got my mini have I ever considered going back to Windows. I did install Vista on an old PC to check it out but it had severe problems so I turned the PC off and moved it back into the closet.

I haven't tried W7, I hear it's nice. But I'm so overly content with OS X, I doubt there's anything in W7 that would cause me to even consider using it.

14. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

It's a computer. If you want to spend your money, then get one. It's not that hard. Although Apple makes it looks cool. You get a lot of stuff bundled in it. Macs works well with older Macs, but in your case that wouldn't be necessary.