Switching from Android/iPad to new iPhone 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vikingjunior, Sep 21, 2015.

1. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Greetings, I'm awaiting delivery of my iPhone 6s on Friday I currently own an Android and iPad mini. I'm trying to prepare for a smooth transition so I already downloaded the "move to iOS" app for my android which will cover contacts, photos and such. My real question is on my iPad mini I have every app I would want and its accompanying settings so I don't have much patience or time to download every app individually. So would I be able to do an iTunes back up on my PC with my iPad and then when my 6s arrives restore it to the backed up iPad on iTunes? Thanks.

2. satchow macrumors 6502

Just make sure the iPad backup and the iPhone are on the same iOS version and it should work fine.

3. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Good luck with that. (it's not going to work)

4. vikingjunior thread starter macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

5. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Anytime (and every time) I have attempted to restore from backup with my phone connected, it has NEVER given me the option to restore from an iPad backup. YMMV.

6. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

There's a good chance it might not work very well. There are also some apps out there that only work on the iPad and not the iPhone.

7. vikingjunior thread starter macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

8. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

It's not too bad... You can go into the App Store, and view all the apps you've "purchased" (including free ones) and run through the list downloading them to your new phone.

C

9. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

Yes, it will work, just not as smoothly as an iPhone-to-iPhone backup and restore. Ignore the one who said it won't work at all.

10. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

Again, good luck adding all those "ipad only " apps to your phone.

11. vikingjunior thread starter macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Think I will do this and save myself the trouble of any incompatibility.

12. quamsi macrumors regular

I just did this. I have an iPad mini which I backed up the day before. Then when setting up my new iphone 6 + I selected to set up from an iCloud account. This worked for about 90% of my apps. It did not download the apps that were not compatible .

13. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I just set up an old iPhone 4 to use until I get a 6s (getting rid of my Samsung S5). It only took a few minutes to scroll through all the Apple apps that I've downloaded/purchased over the last however many years and tag the ones I wanted on my phone. Then just let it run in the background, downloading all the apps.

C