Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
no need to drop the Apple watch. Just alternate.. I have 3 watches that I alternate between, including my Apple watch. Granted I wear the Apple watch probably 75% of the time and sprinkle the other 2 every once in a while. Anyway unless you need to sell your Apple watch in order to fund the new purchase I would just use both.

P.S. that guess watch looks god awful ugly but that's just my opinion

Here is one of my other 2

Attachments

• 14E407D0-F282-4BD0-A283-3050ECA87409.jpeg
    14E407D0-F282-4BD0-A283-3050ECA87409.jpeg
    839 KB · Views: 125

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I’m not in love with that watch... at all. It looks overly blingy, a bit cheap, and I don’t like Chronos with rubber bracelets. The styling is a bit of a contradiction in my mind. Not in love with rose gold either.

As others said, Seiko and Citizen make a good, relatively inexpensive watch.

I can’t say I love the square face of the Apple Watch- I’ve gone back and forth on buying one but figure I might as well just buy another real watch.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Engineers should be fired for that design. If that watch is an appreciable amount of money, the engineers could have designed it so the screws are in a uniform pattern so the watch appears to be engineered with detail instead of slapped together.
Screws should be fixed by torque, not visual alignment, so they won't necessarily be oriented in the same direction.

If you want the appearance of screw heads that are aligned, get a Royal Oak instead -- although what you see are the back ends of threaded inserts, and the screw heads themselves are in the underside of the case:

IMG_9864_zpsc99130a5.jpg

[doublepost=1521728391][/doublepost]
So, since the watch originally posted is not a chronograph and appears to have a perfectly functional sweep second hand, can anyone hazard a guess as to the function of the sub dial at 6:00?
That's a 24-hour hand, which I hope can be set separately since "2400" is not the same as "10:00 AM".

Several of Guess's watches might use the same movement:
https://shop.guess.com/en/catalog/browse/accessories/men/watches/view-all/

The one posted by the OP (who's since changed his mind):
https://shop.guess.com/en/catalog/v...one-rigor-standout-casual-sport-watch/u0247g3

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
If you are looking for an eye caching watch, I'd go with something vintage.

I'm a fan of the oddball Joe Boxer watches that were made from 1996-1997. I managed to get a collection of around 40 of them and they never fail to get attention when I wear them.

I guess I am getting old if a watch from the 90s is considered "vintage."

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
no need to drop the Apple watch. Just alternate.. I have 3 watches that I alternate between, including my Apple watch. Granted I wear the Apple watch probably 75% of the time and sprinkle the other 2 every once in a while. Anyway unless you need to sell your Apple watch in order to fund the new purchase I would just use both.

P.S. that guess watch looks god awful ugly but that's just my opinion

Here is one of my other 2
Ah my dream watch brand...wish I could afford the Breitling I have been drooling over! this thing is a beauty!

Reactions: bigjnyc

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
hey,

I am thinking of switching from an Apple Watch to a standard watch just because I feel like a change, what do you guys think of this guess watch? Do you think it’s a nice watch?

View attachment 755129
[doublepost=1521643116][/doublepost]P.s are guess a good brand?

Well... i guess you always get one. but this looks good watch... Good luck with switching away..... Its harder than it looks..

1. Why do you need a new watch?
2. Why would you care if the watch is fashionable?

Same thing people think their computers are fashionable.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Vintage = 20 years or older... so 1996 fits the bill. I'm vintage enough myself to remember buying those watches when they were new. :p

I guess I get funny about horological definitions, although "vintage" doesn't have a set date(unlike antique, which is 100 years old) at least in watch collecting circles.

I struggle with calling 80s and 90s watches vintage for a couple of reasons. One of them is sitting on my wrist now-my daily wear watch was made in the early 1980s, and I could go today and buy a NEARLY identical one...the differences in a new one vs. the one I'm wearing are subtle. The brand new one uses a sapphire crystal vs. the acrylic crystal on mine, has some subtle changes in the dial is printing, splashes the brand name on the inside of the bezel(that aren't that visible) and uses solid 18K links in the center portion of the bracelet rather than the hollow rolled 18K "tubes" on mine. Only sapphire crystal(although I have a love/hate relationship with acrylic) and the solid links would be considered an upgrade over my watch-the solid links address a well-known problem of the bracelet "stretching" in use(although the stretch has more to do with dirty bracelets being worn loosely-after three years of continuous wear with the watch "tight" on my wrist and frequent cleaning I don't have any perceptible stretch). The newer watch has a different movement, but the big advantage of the newer one is to make servicing easier-the newer ones are no more accurate than a properly serviced old one(mine was off 5 seconds when I adjusted to DST, and I hadn't touched it since November). BTW, there is a "large" model sold under the same name, but the "large" version only 40mm-the classic 36mm is still available.

I wore a Hamilton from the early 1950s a couple of days last week-THAT is a vintage watch and I got a lot of comments on it.

EDIT:

To show what I'm talking about with my daily wear watch:

IMG_5135.jpg

https://www.rolex.com/watches/datejust/m126233-0017.html

BTW, there are so many variations of the Datejust that it took me a long time to find a directly comparable reference #, as the old reference 16013 is long gone.

Last edited:

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
watch + cell phone seems redundant
i love antique jewelry, just would not wear a watch as i am somewhat rough on these things

Reactions: AustinIllini

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Watches were and still are a pricey hobby for me. My preference for a daily watch would be Omegas. They're light, easy to read with just a glance, and not terribly expensive to fix if you bang them up or manage to break it. Or if you lose it somehow.

@bunnspecial Not really into Rolexes, but that is very nice and very "vintage" Rolex or whatever vintage means (I think 1970 and early) according to that other poster. It's befitting of a professor.

Last edited:

AtikCzaTok

macrumors member
May 10, 2016
I received this as a Christmas gift.. and love it.
Haven’t thought about a smart watch since.
Stainless Steel, Solar Powered, Waterproof.
Only thing I’ve noticed is that it’s been losing about 2 seconds every month.
Casio GSTS310D-1A

GSTS310D-1A_large.png

Reactions: AustinIllini

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Nothing super special, just a good reliable watch with a certain sentimental attachment.
Hard to believe I've used this watch daily for the past 28 years and all it has required was 1 crystal replacement and I think 3 maybe 4 batteries.
25 years, 1965-1990

DSCN7154.JPG DSCN7153.JPG

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Nice watches guys, I updated my first post with a pic of the watch I ordered, i unfortunately never received it today, I missed the delivery but it’s getting redelivered on Monday

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Nice watches guys, I updated my first post with a pic of the watch I ordered, i unfortunately never received it today, I missed the delivery but it’s getting redelivered on Monday

That’s good to go. A friend of mine probably still has a similar one — he never had anything bad to say about it. Spend some time learning how to use the slide rule bezel, too.

Reactions: ThatiPhoneKid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.