Switching from bigger screen devices.

Thnkdifferent

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
California
Hi All,

My last iPhone was a 4 when it first came out. I've been using larger screen devices (Nexus 5, Lumia 900/920) for several years. I'm coming back and getting a 5s and worried about the screen downgrade. Has this been an issue for anyone?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Hi All,

My last iPhone was a 4 when it first came out. I've been using larger screen devices (Nexus 5, Lumia 900/920) for several years. I'm coming back and getting a 5s and worried about the screen downgrade. Has this been an issue for anyone?
I went from an iPhone 4s to an HTC One to an iPhone 5s. At first the 5s screen felt tiny, and it certainly isn't as sharp as the 469 PPI on the HTC, but I'm used to it now.

To be honest I miss the Swype style typing and the ability to completely customize the UI more than anything else.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Its going be an adjustment, some good, and some not so good. The smaller form factor will fit nicely in your hand, but you've gotten used to the larger display and moving to a smaller one will require some time to get used to it

Why not wait to see if apple does in fact release a larger iPhone 6 later this year?

mrcheezit

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Yep, like the others are saying you're better off just waiting until at least WWDC to see how big the new screens are. If you are just going to switch to the 5s now, well it's different from the bigger Androids but to me at least it's not a dealbreaker. The smaller screen size can be annoying at first and takes time to get used to but it's also more convenient, can be fit into smaller pockets, etc. so that's good too.

mjschabow

macrumors 68030
Dec 25, 2013
I switched from the Note 3 to the 5s and there was definitely a shock value at first. Now my hand hurts a lot less from daily use so that's a good thing.

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Switching from bigger screen devices.

I pretty regularly switch between my Lumia 920 and iPhone 5. Apart from the change in keyboard size, I don't have much of a problem making the switch. Just takes a couple of hours to get used to the keyboard change.

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
Ages ago I switched from a Galaxy S (4") to the iPhone 4S and adjusted fairly quickly. It's a much smaller difference but I think after a couple days it's not too bad.

aleni

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2006
Been on the iphone 5 and switched to note 3, htc one, s4, lg g2, and nexus 5 and couldn't believe how i lived with the iphone's small screen all the time. But recently getting tired of bigger screen and bought the iphone 5s. Boy i wouldnt want trade this awesome one hand operation device to a big ass android screen anymore. Especially since the ios appstore is bazillion better than playstore on android.

You gotta use the iphone's 4" screen again to really know what apple means about amazing user experience on one hand operation device.

Danoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
It's a question I can't solve myself. I have the Note 3 and the 5S and can't decide which one to keep.

Maybe I should try something in the middle around 5". But the iPhone + iOS is making things very easy. Many apps or website are well optimized for the screen size so that you don't feel cramped.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
Haha want to put money on it?
Never said it's not very likely, but this is why people get mixed up with misinformation they read online. If something is not confirmed, don't state it as a fact. It might affect someone's purchasing decision and there's always a chance it could turn out to be wrong.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Never said it's not very likely, but this is why people get mixed up with misinformation they read online. If something is not confirmed, don't state it as a fact. It might affect someone's purchasing decision and there's always a chance it could turn out to be wrong.

It's been confirmed by reliable sources that have a great track records. Wait until WWDC if the phone doesn't come out then, then September is guaranteed.