Switching from bigger screen devices.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Thnkdifferent, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

Hi All,

My last iPhone was a 4 when it first came out. I've been using larger screen devices (Nexus 5, Lumia 900/920) for several years. I'm coming back and getting a 5s and worried about the screen downgrade. Has this been an issue for anyone?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I went from an iPhone 4s to an HTC One to an iPhone 5s. At first the 5s screen felt tiny, and it certainly isn't as sharp as the 469 PPI on the HTC, but I'm used to it now.

To be honest I miss the Swype style typing and the ability to completely customize the UI more than anything else.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its going be an adjustment, some good, and some not so good. The smaller form factor will fit nicely in your hand, but you've gotten used to the larger display and moving to a smaller one will require some time to get used to it

Why not wait to see if apple does in fact release a larger iPhone 6 later this year?

4. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

5. mrcheezit macrumors member

Yep, like the others are saying you're better off just waiting until at least WWDC to see how big the new screens are. If you are just going to switch to the 5s now, well it's different from the bigger Androids but to me at least it's not a dealbreaker. The smaller screen size can be annoying at first and takes time to get used to but it's also more convenient, can be fit into smaller pockets, etc. so that's good too.

6. mjschabow macrumors 65816

I switched from the Note 3 to the 5s and there was definitely a shock value at first. Now my hand hurts a lot less from daily use so that's a good thing.

7. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I went to the doctor an I said "Doctor, it hurts when I do this". He said "Well, don't do it then."

8. doasis23 macrumors regular

doasis23

Rumored 4.7 but even if it isnt why but a 5s now? September is not that far away.

9. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

I'd say pretty much guaranteed to be at least 4.7".

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Better to wait for iPhone 7. It's not that far.

11. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Lol another half a year before the next iphone drops. Why not get a 5S? If op wants that 5S...let op get that 5S:D

12. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Switching from bigger screen devices.

I pretty regularly switch between my Lumia 920 and iPhone 5. Apart from the change in keyboard size, I don't have much of a problem making the switch. Just takes a couple of hours to get used to the keyboard change.

13. blahbrah macrumors 6502

Ages ago I switched from a Galaxy S (4") to the iPhone 4S and adjusted fairly quickly. It's a much smaller difference but I think after a couple days it's not too bad.

14. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I use a 5S and a Nexus 4 and have no problem switching between them. I prefer the iPhone more.

15. cnotes2019 Suspended

Isn't there also going to be a 5'5 inch iphone (probably)? :)

16. aleni macrumors 68020

Been on the iphone 5 and switched to note 3, htc one, s4, lg g2, and nexus 5 and couldn't believe how i lived with the iphone's small screen all the time. But recently getting tired of bigger screen and bought the iphone 5s. Boy i wouldnt want trade this awesome one hand operation device to a big ass android screen anymore. Especially since the ios appstore is bazillion better than playstore on android.

You gotta use the iphone's 4" screen again to really know what apple means about amazing user experience on one hand operation device.

17. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

If you're coming from a Lumia 920, be careful with the weight, I almost launched a friend's iPhone into the air when picking it up.

18. stuffradio macrumors 65816

5 feet 5 inches? I doubt it. Maybe just a 5' phone. :)

19. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Awesome! Confirmation on the screen size and release date. When did Apple make the announcement?

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic)

20. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

It's a question I can't solve myself. I have the Note 3 and the 5S and can't decide which one to keep.

Maybe I should try something in the middle around 5". But the iPhone + iOS is making things very easy. Many apps or website are well optimized for the screen size so that you don't feel cramped.

21. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You'll adjust to it easily, just like you do when going from a computer screen, to your tablet, to your phone. ;)

22. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Haha want to put money on it?

23. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I just switched back from using a larger Android and it really only took about a day to get used to it again.

24. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Never said it's not very likely, but this is why people get mixed up with misinformation they read online. If something is not confirmed, don't state it as a fact. It might affect someone's purchasing decision and there's always a chance it could turn out to be wrong.

25. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

It's been confirmed by reliable sources that have a great track records. Wait until WWDC if the phone doesn't come out then, then September is guaranteed.