Switching from family plan to Mobile Share Value plan AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yoseph6375, Oct 15, 2014.

1. yoseph6375, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

yoseph6375 macrumors newbie

I am trying to see if switching from family plan that I have with AT&T to Mobile Share Value plan is good or not. I wanted to change my 3rd line into smartphone but not to increase anything on the monthly payments.

Here is what I have

Family Talk Nation 550 with Rollover =$60
    (include the $10 for one smartphone line)
    Unlimited Messaging =$20
    2 Smartphones with 3GB data on each line. =$60
    1 Regular phone =$10
    Total
    $60
    +$20
    +$60
    +$10
    =$150+tax

With Mobile Share Value plan,
    10 GB of sharing data =$100
    Unlimited Talk and Text
    Each Smartphone (2 year contract, no NEXT) =$15 x 3 =$45
    (Talked to retention department and
    they said they will give me the discount
    on this instead of $40)

Total =$145 + tax
    $100
    +$45
    =$145+tax

It looks as switching to Mobile Share Value plan is a definite answer in here however, I have seen people losing their discount eligibility when they upgrade their phone. I feel like price for the Mobile Share Value plan changes too much such as smartphone upgrading and the monthly payments. In addition to that, I enjoy getting the benefit of early upgrade (Probably a year basis) and the credits (6 Month free messaging, $10 x 12 for 1 year and so forth) that I think it works better when I am in the family plan (old plan) than the Mobile Share Value (It is just my opinion).
    If anyone has any experience over this and can give recommendations in here, I would be very appreciated.
    Also, do you think going to 30GB of sharing is worth it for $30 extra?

PS: I just upgraded two smartphones with 2 year, does that mean I will have to pay $40 instead of $15 for each line? (meaning it would increase to $195?)

2. deeddawg, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

deeddawg macrumors 604

Without spending the time to do a full analysis (which you can do with a spreadsheet pretty easily, it just takes time) I'll answer generally: Mobile share plans tend to be a good value for families where phones are passed down, you're not upgradeing all lines every two years, and you tend to use a lot of voice minutes. The classic family plans tend to work better if you upgrade every line every two years and don't use very many voice minute. There's no universal answer of one being better than the other, it really depends on your specifics.

oh and paying extra for extra data is only worthwhile if you'll use the extra data... again something that is very individual specific.

3. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502a

For AT&T, if you have less than 4 smart phones, then the old plan is definitely cheaper - especially if you upgrade all of your phones regularly. If you tend to keep your phones for a long time, then it MAY make sense to switch over and do the NEXT plan. If you only have 2 smart phones, you are definitely better off on the old plan.

4. yoseph6375 thread starter macrumors newbie

What if you want to have 3 smartphones, would that change at all?

5. turbocamel macrumors member

How did you get them to give you 15$ access with a 2 year contract. Vs the normal 40$. I call be. Tjey have been so adamant on the 25$ for next or byod customers. The $40 charge is what's holding me back from switching.

700 min plan. +30 unlimited text. 2gb data. $25. +10. + $30 unlimited data.
    =145/ month. After taxes.