Switching from GoPhone to iPhone 3G w/ contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by angemon89, Jun 9, 2008.

1. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I currently have an iPhone that's on GoPhone Pick Your Plan and when I buy the iPhone 3G on launch day how will ATT/Apple handle the switching over? Anyone know?

I don't mind signing a contract or anything, I just want to be able to keep my number. Is that going to be possible?

2. belmardays macrumors newbie

i have a great 212 number sim card on go phone att can i switch that number to the iphone when i add a third line

3. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

When I spoke to customer service. They told me that they can change the number over to a monthly plan and you will get the discounted price on the phone. And also any balance thats on the account will be credited to your bill. But yet again that was a customer service rep.

4. ziggo macrumors 6502

ziggo

I did the EXACT same thing on Friday. the only thing was they wouldn't let me keep my number....

5. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Oh yeah..... The customer service rep told me not to let them con you into doing that. They can actually change your number to a post paid.

6. ziggo macrumors 6502

ziggo

Wish I would have known that beforehand, even though I didnt wanna argue with them as I was just happy to get the LAST 16gb they had in stock. I loved that number...:(:(

7. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Ehhh getting rid of mine too many people calling me for no reason. I am going to start fresh!

8. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yeah, I ended up having to change my number too...

9. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Oh god we all fell for it. I switched over but I said forget it I don't want my go phone number anymore.

10. polymac macrumors newbie

GoPhone to contract 3G

Can this be done at an Apple store or only at ATT corporate stores?

11. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

I would advise you to go to the at&t store, because they couldn't even do it online so I doubt that apple would be able to do that.

12. polymac macrumors newbie

iPhone ready at ATT store

:confused: Thanks, looks like ATT first, then iPhone. I just spoke to ATT rep and the Apple store. They confirm that I need to visit an ATT corporate store to switch from prepay/GoPhone to postpay/contract at an ATT store. Then I can apparently go to an Apple store and get an iPhone (after waiting in line and assuming they have any in stock). Spoke to two ATT stores and neither expected to have physical G3 handsets in stock for "about a month or so". ATT also confirmed that I can keep my number and that they will credit remaining goPhone balance back on to my contract. It all sounds great in theory - I'll update in a few days on how it works in practice. :rolleyes:

13. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Arrgg I would advise you to wait. The iphone is great and all but the waits are not

14. illutionz macrumors 65816

You have to go to AT&T store and do not let them con you, you can keep your number if it's Pick Your Plan... they will even add the remaining balance in your PYP to the contract credited to your first month bill...

15. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Oh okay, But if you had a Iphone your suppose to be pick your plan .

16. illutionz macrumors 65816

Indeed... I used the PYP on my old iPhone

17. njbucsfan macrumors newbie

Longtime lurker - just wanted to help a little since these forums have been such a huge help to me.

I can speak from personal experience - you *can* keep your gophone number when you switch to the IPhone and don't let anyone at the ATT store tell you otherwise. I purchased the 16gb Black yesterday at the Short Hills, NJ Apple store and they gave me a new number and sent me to ATT.

I went to the ATT store in East Hanover and, although they were very nice, they told me they couldn't do it, that I would have to buy another phone at an ATT store, switch my gophone number at that point, and return my original IPhone to Apple -- this was after about an hour in the store with them on the phone with customer service trying to work something out.

I decided to give it one more shot at the ATT store today in Times Square. They easily cancelled my new number, swapped out SIM cards and ported over my old gophone number to the IPhone. So, don't give up if you don't want to!

18. slapple macrumors 6502

I went to an AT&T store a few days ago. I currently have a cheap piece of junk MOT C139 phone with that 25 cent/min GoPhone plan. I told them I want to get the iPhone with a contract, and they had no problem with that. I asked one employee if I could use my current GoPhone phone number with the iPhone and she said sure. Then another employee placed my order, and I asked him 2 different times if he was sure that I could have the iPhone use my GoPhone phone number, and he said no problem.

And I paid $199 for the 8GB iPhone. I've seen some people say that if you are on the GoPhone plan, then you are not eligible for the $199 upgrade price and have to pay the $499 price, but that's not true.

19. illutionz macrumors 65816

And yes, if you are currently using Pick Your Plan GoPhone with your iPhone 2G, and planning to switch to contract with 3G, you are considered a NEW customer hence you are eligible for the $199/$299 pricing.

Incompetence of AT&T in explaining this + Rumors + Disconnection between Apple and AT&T CSR = A lot of WRONG Information regarding the plan of the iPhone

20. slapple macrumors 6502

I picked up my iPhone yesterday and they had the hardest time figuring out how to convert me from a pre-paid GoPhone account to a post-paid account. It took 4 different guys an hour to figure out how to do it, and they asked me for my SS# 10 different times. But finally they did it and I still have the same phone number.

They did charge me an $18 upgrade/activation fee, but one guy in the store said he would waive it if I called back later because I waited so long.

I also asked them if I could apply the remaining balance from my GoPhone account to my new contract, and they said No.

Oh they also tried to tell me that the 900 minute plan for $89.99 was the cheapest, but I had to show them a piece of paper in their own store that said 450 minutes / $69.99 was the cheapest. Ridiculous.

And I had to ask them for a printout of my plan details. When I got it, I looked at it and there were all these different charges and taxes on it, and I didn't know what was going on. I tried to ask them, and they just told me to bring in my bill when I get it, and then they'll explain it.