Switching from HTC Hero to iPhone, will my SIM work?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by martynmc7, Jan 12, 2010.

1. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Apologies in advance if this is an obvious question but here it goes.

About 2 months ago I started a 24 month contract with Orange with the HTC Hero. After trying the phone for awhile I quite liked it, but now after living with it for 2 months I've decided it's not for me. It's too laggy (even with custom ROMs), the Android marketplace doesn't contain the quality of the app store, and the lack of multitouch on the keyboard (and the lag) makes it frustrating to type with.

I've decided I want an iPhone 3G, and my question is this: basically I can get an Orange locked iPhone for much less than an unlocked version, and so my plan is to get an Orange locked 3G and use the SIM from my Hero. Will this work? I presume it should, but it's best to check out beforehand.

On the off chance it doesn't work can anyone give me advice on unlocking the 3G. I see plenty of websites advertising unlock codes for various fees, but I don't know whether to trust them or go through the motions of jailbreaking the device.

Any help would be appreciated

-Martyn