Switching from illegal to legal iLife?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iLeo, Jun 9, 2009.

1. iLeo macrumors newbie

iLeo

Hi guys,

I've tried searching for this, but didn't find anything that could help:

I -honestly- installed an illegal copy of iLife '08 just before the '09 came out, to try it. However, about 1 week later -or so- I bought the real thing (Legal copies of iLife & iWork).

Problem is:
    when I tried installing the new version, it actually updated the older version, and the illegal copy serial number is still the registration number after-all!

Is there a way to solve this & go completely legal without loosing any of my files? (especially iPhoto)?

Appreciate it..

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

You bought a copy, so you are legal now. Also know that there is a iWork '09 trojan out there, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more of them popping up in the filesharing world. Apple software is generally pretty inexpensive, so there's really no reason not to just pay for a copy. And if you are affiliated with a university, you can often get a deep discount - I got iLife '09 and iWork '09 for $39 each.

4. iLeo thread starter macrumors newbie

iLeo

Ok, it's been a long time now, it seems that I forgot even how this happened! Sorry about that.:confused:

But let me rephrase my question:
    How can I switch my current copy into the legal one? cause currently it doesn't seem to be, because no updates can be installed for my iLife, which means that it's still illegal!

5. Ploki macrumors 68000

i just think none are available? my guess.
    i dont use iLife.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

There is no illegal version. If you install it from a friends copy or from a torrent, there's no differentiation. You will still get updates.

7. iLeo thread starter macrumors newbie

iLeo

hmmmm... interesting!

so then, why do I get an error everytime I try to update?!

Also, just so I fell better, is there a way to change registration info to my new "legal copy"? I mean... I did buy it, I wanna at least feel that I did! :D

8. Pixellated macrumors 65816

There is no registration info.

9. iLeo thread starter macrumors newbie

iLeo

Ok, very sorry for this newbie hassle.. final 2 questions, and thanks for hanging on with me:

1. How can I know if the current iLife I have installed is actually the legal one I bought?
    2. If it's not, how can I change that?

appreciate it..

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Congrats on buying it!

What you bought is the licence to install iLife. You are fully legal now. Apple doesn't generally use registration numbers or check for user info. It's a bit more trusting than Microsoft in that respect.

Any problems you might have with updates are a completely separate issue. Try uninstalling iLife (drag the apps to the bin, and empty bin, and that's it!) and then reinstall from your store DVD.

iLife stores user created content in separate folders (Documents, Films, etc) so your work won't get deleted.

Not sure if that will help. You could also try deleting your iLife preferences files - google for that.

11. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

There was no point in doing that, the "illegal" and "legal" versions are exactly the same.

Find the preference file where your serial number is stored, delete it, and when iLife launches, put your new, legal serial in (although I don't think that there is a serial number at all.)