Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott Botkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
I'm going to be switching from an iMac to a mac mini. I use Photoshop CS4 and Illustrator CS5 on my iMac. How can I move those over to my mac mini without using a cd? I don't want to buy a super drive unless I really have to. I'll need to move Microsoft Office 2008 too.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
A Time Machine backup of your system via an external HD could be a solution. When setting up the new device, just select 'Restore from Time Machine Backup' and you should have an identical copy of your previous system.

OR: Copy the apps and their relates preference files from
Macintosh HD/Username/Library/Preferences
and
Macintosh HD/Username/Library/Application Support/Adobe
to your new machine.

Scott Botkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
A Time Machine backup of your system via an external HD could be a solution. When setting up the new device, just select 'Restore from Time Machine Backup' and you should have an identical copy of your previous system.

OR: Copy the apps and their relates preference files from
Macintosh HD/Username/Library/Preferences
and
Macintosh HD/Username/Library/Application Support/Adobe
to your new machine.

I just thought of that when I clicked post. I have a flash drive and a time capsule. I can just copy the cd files to one of those.

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Right, just connect your time capsule to the new Mini and it will ask if you want to copy over your files and applications. Click yes and it's all automatic. I started with an iMac, then a MBP, Mini and then finally the MBA. All are clones of each other (e.g. they all have same apps) for that reason, with no disks needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.