Switching from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4

texmacs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
I currently have iPhone 3GS with AT&T and I have another line without contract with AT&T that my wife uses. IF I take iPhone 4 on that number with $15 plan and switch SIM card from my iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 and my wife can use my iPhone 3GS. Does that work? I know within same network (AT&T) SIM cards work in different phones. Appreciate you help.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Yes you can swap SIM cards and the phone will work, but the iPhone 4 uses the new Micro-SIM card wile the iPhone 3GS still uses the regular SIM card, so you'll have to go down to AT&T and have them Swap the SIM cards for you.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
You could ask AT&T for a new micro SIM. They'll probably charge you for it though. Never hurts to ask.

If anything, you can always just get a SIM cutter and shave it down yourself.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
You could ask AT&T for a new micro SIM. They'll probably charge you for it though. Never hurts to ask.

If anything, you can always just get a SIM cutter and shave it down yourself.
to get a new SIM card is free and generally your in and out in 5-10 minutes.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
to get a new SIM card is free and generally your in and out in 5-10 minutes.
Not always. Depends on whether you're signing a contract. That and it differs from store to store. Corporate stores will probably give it to you for free, but only if your old one is malfunctioning. A lot of those independently-owned AT&T stores will charge you for it.

That's been my experience.