Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kojo0513

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2014
Bought a iPhone 6 from AT&T yesterday. Thinking about switching to a 6+ if i can find one. How does that go about? Can I just go in when they have one in stock and switch out on the spot? Is there a waiting time?

nilart

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
London, UK
If they have one in stock they will sell it to you on the moment but that is probably not the case. Switching is the same as returning and purchasing another item, there is no preference list as far as I know but may change from one store to another.

kojo0513

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2014
Since i used my only upgrade, would I have to wait for that upgrade to post back into my account?

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I'm also thinking of doing this as well, but mostly for better battery life. If I purchased my iPhone 6 through Best Buy, can I pay the difference and swap it for a 6 Plus at the Apple store?

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm also thinking of doing this as well, but mostly for better battery life. If I purchased my iPhone 6 through Best Buy, can I pay the difference and swap it for a 6 Plus at the Apple store?

No. You'll have to take it back to Best Buy. Then go to the Apple store and pick up the +.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Since i used my only upgrade, would I have to wait for that upgrade to post back into my account?

Yes, which might not take too long. I canceled an ATT pre-order for Plus on Sunday, and when I finally looked a hour later, my upgrade was back.

Do you have another phone you could use if you returned the 6 and waited for supplies to come in on the plus?

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
No. You'll have to take it back to Best Buy. Then go to the Apple store and pick up the +.

:(

In that case, I don't know if it's worth running all the way to my Apple store just to have them perform some diagnostics on the battery in my iPhone 6. Best Buy never emailed me my receipt either. Purchased on Saturday and still nothing. I am going to call them later today.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Bought a iPhone 6 from AT&T yesterday. Thinking about switching to a 6+ if i can find one. How does that go about? Can I just go in when they have one in stock and switch out on the spot? Is there a waiting time?

Sometimes an Apple Store will handle a carrier-bought phone just like if you bought it at the Apple Store. Your best bet is to take it to an Apple Store and tell them exactly what you want to do. My bet is they'll handle it all on the spot, provided they have the model you want to upgrade to. Availability is the stumbling block in the whole thing.

nilart

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
London, UK

That's a good question and honestly, don't know how Apple will handle those. Maybe they are holding your old device and can give it back to you or maybe they'll refund the difference (new phone - old phone trade in) and the rest give to you in itunes gift credit...

infam0uz

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Pensacola, Florida

your upgrade eligibility should be back on your account within 5 mins after returning things.

I had cancelled my att preorder the night before launch and got my upgrade eligibility back and got a Iphone6 Plus at the att store the next morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.