Switching from iPhone 6/+ to previous gen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hungx, Mar 6, 2015.

1. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

Has anyone used the iPhone 6/Plus and then decided to switch back to a previous gen? If so, what are your reasons for switching back to a previous gen iPhone?

I was one of the lucky few to snag a 6 Plus on launch day, but after the first few weeks, I noticed the 1gb RAM severely cripples the device. Switching from Safari (with only one tab open) to the camera app, for example, and then back again would cause the tab to refresh. This constant refreshing when switching between apps has driven me to "upgrade" to a previous iPhone. Frequently resetting the iPhone seems to temporarily fix the issue. I noticed this problem occasionally with the 5s, and I eventually grew used to it, but the frequency of the problem on the 6 Plus is driving me insane. In my opinion, the iPhone 5 has the best performance of all iPhones so far. I ended up buying an iPhone 5 off eBay and giving my 6 Plus to my mom. After switching back to the 5, I feel I've definitely missed the reliability and stability of iOS.

*I'm not sure if this problem is hardware/software problem specific to my device. I had my iPhone replaced due to dead pixels, and both phones exhibit this issue.

2. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

I have the 6+ and cant even imagine going back to an older or smaller model.

Works perfect for me.

edit: I do also own the 4 and the 5 models, maybe that softens the nostalgia blow :)

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

No way I could go back to the tiny screen of a 5 or 5S after using a 6 Plus. You should try the iPhone 6 at least. It has a nice sized screen but performs better than the 6 Plus.

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I don't understand. The iPhone also have only 1GB of RAM, how can it be better? Perhaps, the camera in the 5 requires much less resources. Also, why do you miss the reliability and stability of iOS? Doesn't the 5 run the same iOS 8 as the 6/6+? So your 5 crashes often? Nothing is making sense here.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The iPhone 5 is 32Bit, which means the system uses less RAM.
    Compared to a 6+ the iPhone 5 'feels' to have twice as much RAM. Put an older version of iOS on it (ie remove the buggy iOS8) and the iPhone 5 performs like a champ.

6. hungx thread starter macrumors 6502

hungx

Not exactly sure how this works, but I think the switch to 64bit processors without increasing the RAM is the major issue here. The iPhone 5 and 4s run a 32bit version of iOS 8, so it doesn't have this issue (at least for me). The camera app scenario was just an example. I experience app refreshing with any two apps.

7. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

That's exactly it. and I wouldn't blame you for making the switch. The app refreshes are just flat out annoying sometimes. I'm sure this will all magically go away when Apple releases next year's version with 2gigs.

8. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I always said I loved the 3.5-4" form factor but no way in hell am I leaving my 6 and taking a step back. It's the best smartphone in the world.